News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Removeable steering wheels

Started by foggy, 01, November, 2010, 07:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foggy

Now that I have stripped the interior of the Hood, got the Mrs to make me a new one! She's good at that sort of thing. I have taken the steering wheel off it is a Mountney wheel plus boss, how much easier it is to get in and out of the car, thats why I am thinking removeable steering wheel, has any opne used one of these? If so, what sort of money do they cost  complete and where would I get one from, would they fit onto a Sierra steering colomn, it would be good for secuity as well.This would be my first choice,the second is a D shaped steering wheel.

paintman

I also looked into this security option.....about £50 for the quick release boss plus the new wheel.   Recon. you won't get much change from £120-£150. for the lot.

Make a nice Christmas present from the missus...... ;) ;)

Tony

Ps.   I just got new cord carpet and Vinyl for the dash......doing my interior this winter as well but can't see the wife helping much.  You obviously got her better trained then I have.... :P

robp

I have a ball bearing quick release hub from KSport.  Very good, easy to fit, about £40.  Recommended.  Their website doesn't have any photos strangely so let me know if you want some pics.  Note: no good for Mountney wheels as PCD wrong.
http://www.ksport.co.uk

Splined alternatives are OK but can wear over a period of time.

Make sure you get a decent one.  Read this....
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=122162

foggy

Tony - the Mrs has already done the vynil work, she just got to make me a new dash board. I will ask her for a quick release wheel for Christmas, but I think that will be a no,no-she's paid for the new seats and I've already had a large tool chest, she gets fed up with me looking for my spanners  in her sewing box! So back to the quick release, I looked at  the  stuff from robp, so I need a good one to fit a Sierra shaft, if I need a new wheel,so be it.So  robp, if you got those pictures I would like  to see them  and do you recommend the one you got.

paintman

'Mendip Wurzel'

foggy

Yeah, I had a look at that one, not impressed, as soon as welding is mentioned on steering colomn's I am not interested. I just want one to fit on a Sierra steering colomn, don't know if such a thing exists, but someone out there  will know.

Furore Phil

A universal one ? attaches between the existing boss and wheel :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-QUICK-RELEASE-SNAP-OFF-STEERING-WHEEL-BOSS-/160443048765?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item255b26a33d

or search for :
UNIVERSAL QUICK RELEASE SNAP OFF STEERING WHEEL BOSS

never used one but looks good and is cheap

robp

Quote from: Phil on 03, November, 2010, 12:04:30 AM
A universal one ? attaches between the existing boss and wheel :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-QUICK-RELEASE-SNAP-OFF-STEERING-WHEEL-BOSS-/160443048765?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item255b26a33d

or search for :
UNIVERSAL QUICK RELEASE SNAP OFF STEERING WHEEL BOSS

never used one but looks good and is cheap

Yes, that's the same as the KSport one.  Good piece of kit and requires no welding.  Beware though, as I said, PCD is too small for Mountney wheels.

Hairy Santa

Quote from: robp on 01, November, 2010, 08:51:21 PM
I have a ball bearing quick release hub from KSport.  Very good, easy to fit, about £40.  Recommended.  Their website doesn't have any photos strangely so let me know if you want some pics.  Note: no good for Mountney wheels as PCD wrong.
http://www.ksport.co.uk

Splined alternatives are OK but can wear over a period of time.

Make sure you get a decent one.  Read this....
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=122162

How thick is the actual boss  - how much closer does the wheel come to your body
Are there any lumps for releasing it or do you just pull or push on the boss
Do you have any pictures at all -

Thanks

robp

It moves the wheel about 2" nearer to you.  This suited me well in the Westy as before the wheel was inline with my knees and now I have more room.  There's a little button on the side of the unit you first need to depress before pulling back the collar to release.

OK, here's what you get.

This is it bolted to the column boss.

This is what comes off and you take in the pub.

This is what's left on the car.

'Mendip Wurzel'

The Ksports detachable steering wheel boss certainly looks good value for money. I don't even want one and I'm now thinking of purchasing.

Ksport must be loosing a lot of business by not showing decent photos of what is a good product.

foggy

Robp- I looked at your pictures, I know where you are coming from now. Like I said I got a Sierra colomn, with the stalks each side,indicators,lights etc. I am guessing I have a  mounteray boss,because I have a mounteray steering wheel. So I would need a new boss,steering wheel/quick release system, could you see any problems    with  the stalks?

robp

Quote from: foggy on 03, November, 2010, 08:04:21 PM
Robp- I looked at your pictures, I know where you are coming from now. Like I said I got a Sierra colomn, with the stalks each side,indicators,lights etc. I am guessing I have a  mounteray boss,because I have a mounteray steering wheel. So I would need a new boss,steering wheel/quick release system, could you see any problems    with  the stalks?

Yes, as you have Mountney now, you'll need new boss to go with the new wheel.  As you can see on the KSport unit, there are two sets at different PCDs so you have some flexibility with choice of wheels (e.g. Sparco, Momo, etc.)  I'm not that familiar with the Sierra column but with the right boss you should be fine.  The only issue could be with self canceling indicators.  That'll be a function of the boss though and not the KSport unit.  Any else know more about this?

foggy

The indicators don't self cancel anyway,maybe because of the munteray boss, so I need the whole lot. Do you know if Ksport supply every thing that I would need?

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: foggy on 03, November, 2010, 09:44:49 PM
The indicators don't self cancel anyway,maybe because of the munteray boss, so I need the whole lot. Do you know if Ksport supply every thing that I would need?

Why not contact the eBay sellers direct mate..

Jap Parts
2 kerscott close
ince
wigan
Lancashire
wn3 4jb
United Kingdom

Email: car_parts@btinternet.com
Phone: 08448 117887

Hairy Santa

'Mendip Wurzel'

Quote from: Hairy Santa on 03, November, 2010, 10:41:06 PM
Just bought one of these off Ebay, seems to be pretty thin

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170554096111&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Just hope it fits  ;D
I will be interested to see how you get on fitting this unit. I quite like the thin bit as I am not sure that I would want to push the steering wheel back into the cockpit too far, that is assuming it is safe and doesn't come off in your hands while driving. The pictures of the crashed kit car are frightening.

andygtm

I have bought one of these. Hmmmm lets just say you get what you pay for. The screws supplied to fit the steering wheel were too long so when fitted they dug into the part that turns and stopped any movement needed to twist the wheel off the boss. I had to file the screws down which solved the problem but in doing so the button that you push down to twist the wheel off the boss popped out into orbit and was lost. The button is a bit of plastic split down the middle and prised apart to keep it in. Good chance it could fall/pop out at anytime I reckon.I have now found the button by chance(a month later). Lost abit of faith in it now so I wont be using it. I wished I had sent it back before I started to modify it. Contacted them for a refund but no reply. Told them that sort of people who buy this product would naturally try and sort/fix any problems themselves so render any refunds impossible. Poor product but hopefully yours will be OK.

foggy

Took delivery of quick release steering wheel mechism,new steering wheel and new boss and it all fits, unlike the previous ones that did'nt.It makes it a lot easier to get in and out and I think that will solve the security on it.