+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Fuel Filler Earth

Started by Quarrycars, 06, November, 2010, 06:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarrycars

This may be covered by the SVA but I haven't heard it mentioned, the fuel filler should have a connection to ground to disipate any static electricity charge that may build up.  With less than 14% humidity here I get zaped just about anytime I touch a metal object, sometimes with a visible and audiable spark!
Thankfully fuel filling fires are pretty rare but we are all familiar with Mr Murphy.
Cheerz, JT

'The Gaffer'

Static can be quite dangerous, notice how she gets in and out of the car while fueling and charging herself up by rubbing clothes on the seat material..

JT, just stop wearing those silk underpants ;)

Daley Down Under

Bugger - mind you in the UK it's a bit of challenge getting down to the required low humidity conditions!!!!

YellaBelly

Quote from: MarlboroCar on 06, November, 2010, 09:48:54 PM

Bugger - mind you in the UK it's a bit of challenge getting down to the required low humidity conditions!!!!

PMSL :D

peterw

Going by memory but don't quote me on it  I think it is covered in the IVA manual, no scrub that , just looked and the tank must be earthed but there is nothing about earthing the filler neck / cap, then again is there any point if the filler is on a fibre glass body.
Pete

Quarrycars

I think extra important if the metal neck is mounted in plastic, a ground wire would ensure all metal parts of the car are at the same potential.  I suppose technically we should connect a ground wire between the fuel pump and the vehicle as they do when fueling aircraft.  I just make sure I touch the pump and car before I start fuelling