Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

New KAAZ LSD diff into Dave H's Westfield Pt1

Started by 'The Gaffer', 24, January, 2011, 07:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David H

Quote from: RobC on 03, February, 2011, 10:30:54 PM
26th's a Sprint event... aiming to beat last years time.

Dave are you just going back to a viscous then...? would you not see better times with the plated over the viscous...?

Its all changed again!!

I've just got it back from Phil Jones. I found an open 3.9 diff and bought it on ebay. Then I took that to Phil and he built the Kaaz plate diff with the 3.9 ratio. He also took a plate out to take back the severity of the lock which was on full blast. It was only a few ft/lbs off being welded.

Phil isn't a massive fan of plate diffs but it is a personal preference. they can be a bit hardcore in the way they lock up, especially in the wet. Anyway, whatever happens it should be a laugh!!

Diff goes in this weekend all going well

Yipee!!

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: David H on 08, February, 2011, 06:04:23 PM

Its all changed again!!

I've just got it back from Phil Jones. I found an open 3.9 diff and bought it on ebay. Then I took that to Phil and he built the Kaaz plate diff with the 3.9 ratio. He also took a plate out to take back the severity of the lock which was on full blast. It was only a few ft/lbs off being welded.

Phil isn't a massive fan of plate diffs but it is a personal preference. they can be a bit hardcore in the way they lock up, especially in the wet. Anyway, whatever happens it should be a laugh!!

Yipee!!

You know where I am if you need another pair of hands 8)

Daley Down Under

Quote from: David H on 08, February, 2011, 05:59:34 PM
Quote from: MarlboroCar on 03, February, 2011, 10:18:34 PM

1st track day is going to be a belter - all the new cars and shiny bits.  Engine goes back into the Marlboro Car tomorrow.  Engine bay has been fully cleaned!!!  So unlike me - must be catching the disease

What disease?

Exactly - good news about the diff

David H

looking forward to seeing the detailing in the engine bay. Have you left the amazing breather plumbing there or is there an upgrade?

David H

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 08, February, 2011, 11:00:45 PM
Quote from: David H on 08, February, 2011, 06:04:23 PM

Its all changed again!!

Yipee!!

You know where I am if you need another pair of hands 8)

you got it. we need more cups!

Daley Down Under

Quote from: David H on 09, February, 2011, 09:21:18 AM
looking forward to seeing the detailing in the engine bay. Have you left the amazing breather plumbing there or is there an upgrade?

I've gone for the high tech upgrade - Daewoo Nubira power steering reservoir - 99p off ebay.  May need some fine tuning though

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: MarlboroCar on 09, February, 2011, 01:39:23 PM
I've gone for the high tech upgrade - Daewoo Nubira power steering reservoir - 99p off ebay.  May need some fine tuning though

Haha, you skinflint!! ;)

peetee

Nice job Bruv! BTW, finally got my modified oil pick up today so I can crack on now......

David H

Quote from: MarlboroCar on 09, February, 2011, 01:39:23 PM
Quote from: David H on 09, February, 2011, 09:21:18 AM

I was gonna get one of those! I've heard they add a lot of power. Christ mate, your gonna have to turn the supercharger down a little to cope. You have to be careful with Daewoo Nubira power upgrades.

Daley Down Under

Really does look the business - 100 times better than those flash aluminium ones but only a marginal improvement over the 500ml water bottle with Watertite mod.

Adrian

RobC

Phil made me look him in the eyes and tell him again that i wanted to go plated :) top work though...Shame I cannot start mine at the mo... down to some mystery problem. fingers crossed its a failing starter motor...

RobC

no updates.... does this mean she's back on the road...?

I took mine out last night the get the oil round all the plates... couldn't help but give it a blast... :) def: different to the standard visc... very noticable on the lift of that the lock has come off but not too much to unsettle the car... difference is in the corners... sheesh... grip grip grip ... slip......... but controlable... ;) nice

David H

I hated mine and took it out. Its going to be sold. The extra grip with the lock on power was forcing the front out too much. The power off was a clunk that I couldn't live with. Its just not for me although I think that it was just not meant for a light car and no amount of adjustment helped. So I've gone back top the viscous with different ratio.

I've had the diff in and out 3 times so a little bored of that now.

I think i'll try an ATB when I get the funds spare

Glad yours work for you though!

RobC

:'(

What ramp angles did you go for...? sounds like the it was too stiff... I been told to run around in mine to loosen it up a bit... but even so mines doesn't seem as bad as that  :o :o shame you couldn't get on with it... was it doing that on the road then or did you book a track day?

David H

It was already run in, took it out on the road and immediately knew it wasn't for me. It was probably set up for a bigger car. I even had a plate taken out but that didn't help. Just too rough to enjoy.

May as well refurb the driveshafts while their out.

Nice and clean now

Rebuilt, just like new

New longer propshaft back in place

A few adjustments to the gear lever linkage

Viscous diff back in with new ratio

Followed by a good clean...

...and a blurry engine

RobC

sounds like the ramp angles were just too high... or fully locked. Mines 30/60

Went out on mine again today... it's totally sooo much better on standing starts than a visc... grips and pushes you forward without any wheels spin. Feels like a rocket

I take it Phil had another look at it... shame :(

David H

He did have another look although Kaaz is not his speciality. I suspect the ramp angles were wrong and a plate diff suited to the car would be much better