+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

spring rates

Started by aliwizard, 27, January, 2011, 07:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aliwizard

anyone got any ideas on spring rates ,i have taken my springs off my car ,on zero clicks on the dampers and standing on the side of the car and bouncing up and down there is very little movement ,phil and dave i think i showed you this once before i have 250 pound on the front and 200 on the back i am thinking of coming down 20 pound or so ,it is a 7 type bike powered car ,or should i give track developments a bell  any thoughts

Krazyken

Spring rates will vary according to what you want to do with the car.  Mine is focussed for track use but by slackening off the dampers it's not too bad on the road.  I would recommend you have a word with Dave Gallop at Track Developments who have done a full Racedyne set up on my car.

I am running 350lb springs on the front but on the rear a 300lb spring on the n/s/r and a slightly longer 350lb spring o/s/r.  Originally I had equal length 300lb springs on the rear but because the mid mounted engine was on the same side as the driver it threw out the weight distribution for corner weighting.  After corner weighting my car looked as though the chassis was twisted with the ride height being significantly raised on the offside.  By putting a longer stiffer spring where the majority of the weight is the car looks level all round and is better balanced on track.

Have a look at Phils write up of his Riot set up at TD here on the Forum.  Hope this helps

Richard

Best to get car into Track Developments, lots of things affect the choice.
Mine are 350 front and 200 rear but geometry is different etc. etc. etc.

Daley Down Under

Nick,

You wont notice 20lbs.  50lbs is the minimum change to feel a difference.  On a BEC, I wouldn't have thought 250lbs front is too hard for the front.  My Megablade ran 275 on the front and 200 on the rear.

Adrian

foggy

Don't understand all this technical jargon about springs, but if they are of any use,I have a set of rear springs for a Cosworth, they are in good condition,did'nt look right on my Hood. If you are interested, let me know.

paintman

My springs feel real stiff.....got no idea whats on there.     Are they stamped with poundage on the actual springs?

Any way I can find out?

Richard

Sometimes the flat ends of the springs have a number on them but so far as I can tell this is not totally common. Otherwise it would be test it time and I'm not sure any of us have equipment to do that.

David H

Quote from: MarlboroCar on 28, January, 2011, 01:59:58 PM
Nick,

You wont notice 20lbs.  50lbs is the minimum change to feel a difference.  On a BEC, I wouldn't have thought 250lbs front is too hard for the front.  My Megablade ran 275 on the front and 200 on the rear.

Adrian

Yep, might be worth driving it first. By the way I still need to pop over and collect those bits!!!!! sorry....