News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

VDO Speedo senders advice requested

Started by Grin-a-lot, 15, February, 2011, 04:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grin-a-lot

Now that i've broken the glass on my faulty mechanical speedo, i've decided that I may as well replace the whole gauge with the spare electronic one that i've got.

The big question is what sender do I need/can I use?  The VDO inductive ones on t'internet seem quite pricey but I can't figure out whether the hall effect ones will work.

What do you guys do/use to get it working?  Can I use a pushbike type hall effect sender mounted on the wheel?  Do the inductive ones fit into a 2000e 4 speed gearbox alright?

I'm just not sure what i'm looking for to be honest!

Quarrycars

It depends on the electronic speedo, is it an original equipment part from a production vehicle in which case it will need a specific number of pulses per mile to operate.  Does it have a one or two wire input?  The simplest input is just a reed switch with a magnet, that's what most bike and aftermarket speedos use.

David H

I have some spare senders for those guages.

Grin-a-lot

It's a VDO speedo and according to an online manual I found it can be wired to accept hall effect or inductive senders.  The manual also seems to suggests it can be programmed.

Dave - if you've got a speed sender for that gauge that I can use on my car then I'm interested.

David H

It will be the one that i used on my car. You will need to read off a bolt or something. I used a driveshaft but you dont have one?

Grin-a-lot

There must be some bolts down by the diff that I could use, even if it means making a bracket to hold the sender.  I was wonderingif it would fit in place of the cable drive that is already in place?

How much do you want for the sender and are you around next weekend?

Westiebusa

You could get a reading of the prop bolts with a fabricated bracket?  :)

David H