+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

BEC FLAT SHIFTER FOR UNDER A TENNER!!

Started by Westiebusa, 12, March, 2011, 05:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westiebusa

As i expect you all know that i recently swapped out my Crossflow power for Hayabusa power, well after the initial installation i began looking @ upgrades, the thing with me is i look @ what is on the market and work out a way of doing it cheaper (reads "tight a*s" :D) This brings me to flat shifters & how they work, well basically they either breifly cut the ignition known as "hard cut" or cut fuel supply "soft cut" i've chosen on the soft cut as i believe it wil be kinder on the transmission. So i thought simples buy a micro switch make a bracket & connect as close to the actual gear lever changer engine end, this way you illiminate any sloppy movement in the gear change linkage, which then allows for precise set up of the micro switch operation by setting the switch by moving the gear leaver until resistance could be felt which @ a fraction before that point the switch switched.

Believe or not it was perfect first time on a road road test!! (reads smart a*s) ;D
I also added a switch which loops the micro switch so that off track you can revert back to normal gear changing!
Micro switch with 4 different operating arms £6.80
Wire - conectors & Swich £3.10
Total £9.90  ;D ;D

Daley Down Under

Adrian,

fantastic job - I'm interested

Adrian

stupott901

That is cool and so much cheaper than buying one would it work on any bike engine car?

Stu

tony.g

Brilliant invension Adrian!!!!!!!!!!! Smart a**.  ;D

Any idea how this can be adapted (wired into the coils) on a carbed Blade.

Tony

Hairy Santa

Where are you cutting the fuel off at the pump, injectors , cpu, or power commander and are you using a timing devise or just the operation of the switch

must admit that I had it on the Toniq but never used it (aways the clutch to disengage )I found it was very harsh on the gear train

Westiebusa

Quote from: MarlboroCar on 12, March, 2011, 06:14:47 PM
Adrian,

fantastic job - I'm interested

Adrian

Adrian,

It was quite a painless task, took about 11/2hrs including road test, it was so very simple to the point i thought i might be missing something, but it worked perfectly with no side effects!! ;D

Ade

Westiebusa

Quote from: Hairy Santa on 12, March, 2011, 06:40:54 PM
Where are you cutting the fuel off at the pump, injectors , cpu, or power commander and are you using a timing devise or just the operation of the switch

must admit that I had it on the Toniq but never used it (aways the clutch to disengage )I found it was very harsh on the gear train

Cutting fuel pump feed supply which i added an inline fuse to connection for good measure. The reason i went fuel cut route is that it is a softer cut thus not as harsh as abrupt ignition cut :o

I don't really see the point of a timer , the cycle is - move gear lever to change gear - which operates switch to open circuit cutting fuel- gear engaged - release gear stick - switched closed power resumed, what would you be timing?? that whole sequence is as quick as you take to complete the gear change, so the cut is only as long as its needed to be. 
Ade

Westiebusa

Quote from: tony.g on 12, March, 2011, 06:26:36 PM
Brilliant invension Adrian!!!!!!!!!!! Smart a**.  ;D

Any idea how this can be adapted (wired into the coils) on a carbed Blade.

Tony

Yes u would have to go for ignition, i'm not to keen on "hard cut" ignition cut systems as they tend to be harsh on the transmission, it might be possible just to cut a couple of coils, what you are looking for is momentarily reducing the power through the transmision, by momentarily taking out a couple of coils thus reducing power output which should achieve a soft cut??

Westiebusa

Quote from: stupott901 on 12, March, 2011, 06:24:53 PM
That is cool and so much cheaper than buying one would it work on any bike engine car?

Stu
Yes Stu, but slightly different methods for Carb / Injection engines but certainly do-able!!
Ade

Quarrycars

Wot about the throttle blip on the down shifts?  (I'm trying to learn about BECs so pardon my ignorance) :-[

David H

YZFMINI

This is exactly what i did.. did not take me 11.5 hours...

just had to see which wires the official units pluged into on the power commander..
it does make a hell of a difference

yzf mini

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: YZFMINI on 13, March, 2011, 12:14:32 PM

I think he meant 1.5 hours Colin. I hope so anyway.

Ignition cut worked just fine for me in the Toniq, just had to be used with lots of revs, but thats what BECs are for.

I assume this is for up- shifts only? Perhaps you could design a blipped clucthless down-shift too. The trickshifter fitted in the Toniq used vacuum to raise the revs, but that was on carbs as seen below, no reason you cant create a vacuum switch co connect somewhere on an ECU / Commander??

Vacuum take off point

Vacuum actuator pushed carb linkage for 'blip', could easily work a switch.

Now there's a challenge for you Einstein's out there :)

Westiebusa

Quote from: YZFMINI on 13, March, 2011, 12:14:32 PM

just had to see which wires the official units pluged into on the power commander..
it does make a hell of a difference

yzf mini
LOL, that was 90minutes!!! ;D

Westiebusa

Quote from: Quarrycars on 13, March, 2011, 12:48:48 AM
Wot about the throttle blip on the down shifts?  (I'm trying to learn about BECs so pardon my ignorance) :-[

Thats something i'm thinking about, no reason it can't be done the same way as triggered by a micro switch operating an electric selonoid??

tony.g

Ade,
where did you get the switch from?

Tony

YZFMINI

YZFMINI

If you are using a power commander 3 or 5 (i suspect most people runing BECs should be) then just connect this simple switch to these connection(in pic) and the power commander will cut the fuel for a given amount of time that you can set in the unit..
used not only on track but on the road as well should lengthen the life of your gearbox..

Yzfmini

Westiebusa

Quote from: YZFMINI on 15, March, 2011, 09:37:12 AM
If you are using a power commander 3 or 5 (i suspect most people runing BECs should be) then just connect this simple switch to these connection(in pic) and the power commander will cut the fuel for a given amount of time that you can set in the unit..
used not only on track but on the road as well should lengthen the life of your gearbox..

Yzfmini

Nice one, thanks for that, as it simplifies things even more ;D

Ade