+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Resetting a Speedometer Total Mileage

Started by Grin-a-lot, 23, March, 2011, 02:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grin-a-lot

During my ongoing wiring loom saga, the new speedo that I am fitting (because mine is broken) reads 26k when my car has only done 8k.

Is there anyway of reseting a speedo so that it reads the correct total mileage?  I can't find anything of any use on the internet regarding this but i can't believe that I am the first person to replace a speedometer in a kitcar.

paintman

Denzle

I dont know about your speedo.   The more modern ones you cant role back... :'(

Years back we used to take off the glass and with a chewed back end of a matchstick gently push the numbers round to where you wanted them.... :o  I dont think this can be done now though.

Have a go with your broken one...play around and see what you can do with it..  I assume its cable...If its digital I dont think you can do it......I might be wrong.  :-\

Denzle.... ;D

PS...  These were things we all did back then and get away with it.  Not any more though...... :P

paintman

If its digital there are places that will change it for you but cable is a bit tricky......

I "adjusted" one on a Fiat once, it appeared ok but i noticed that instead of going up in single miles it went up in 10 mile cycles! :o

Tony

'The Gaffer'

I heard of people using a power drill to spin back older cable ones, but the bottom line is it dosent really matter what the mileage is. Just use whats shown when you put the replacement one in.

People quite often use high mileage replacements, it dosent always follow that if you have a 60,000 mile speedo in a kit car that the car has actually done 60K.

paintman

I just changed mine, had 26,000 on it now 68,000miles. :o

You try finding a Sierra speedo with 20 odd thousand miles on it!! ::)

Tony

Grin-a-lot

How did you deal with the insurance company? I'm on a 3000 miles/year policy so need to get it sorted with them I suppose.

Sumov8

For the insurance point of view they would just want photographic evidence hence a picture of the existing speedo alongside the replacement and another picture of it installed would then cover this.
For plicy renewal they would then want another picture / copy of the MOT to confirm annual milage. :) :)

You would not see many articals on clocking speedo's as most culprits end up collecting litter with orange vests on :o

Psymon

paintman

Furore Phil

Quote from: paintman on 24, March, 2011, 08:00:15 PM
    I just changed mine, had 26,000 on it now 68,000miles. :o

You try finding a Sierra speedo with 20 odd thousand miles on it!! ::)

Tony

My Mums old Sierra had 20k on it !, possibly had something to do with the fact that it only had a five digit dial...

Some electronic ones can be wound back too, especially if they are after market kit car ones.

foggy

I've just renewed my Insurance,they just asked me what the mileage was on the  speedo,I guess if anything untoward happens to the car,they would just check the figure I gave them against the figure on the car to see if I had gone over my  allotted miles. They have had to give me a little bit of lattitude,cause the new insurance does'nt start until next week.