News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Has my gearbox blown up?

Started by 'The Gaffer', 04, April, 2011, 09:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'The Gaffer'

Hopefully not :-\

Driving home when all of a sudden the gearstick just didnt feel right. It's normally like a rifle bolt, very precise.

This time however it feels stiff and 5th in particular is very hard to engage. The car also likes to hop out of 5th if you lift the gas.

Close inspection of the linkage revealed that the linkage rod appears to be very slightly bent upwards and touches the gearbox casing when 5th is attempted.

The rod is in fact the lowest part of the car so could have easily had a knock. I aim to take the rod assy off and try to bend it somehow, its actually very well designed so everything still has to run straight and smooth through the sleeves - this could be quite an interesting job.

Heres the rod, you can see how close it is to the casing..

Wish me luck.

Denzle

If your as good with your car as your are with the computor, then you have no worries.
                 Denzle..... ;)

Speedy J

What are you doing crawling on the floor taking pictures >:( You have only been out of hospital for one week with a bad back!!!

I dont know, boys and toys ;)

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Speedy J on 04, April, 2011, 10:46:35 PM
What are you doing crawling on the floor taking pictures >:( You have only been out of hospital for one week with a bad back!!!

That's me in the doghouse then :-[

paintman

That don't look right to me Phil!! 

The last time I saw a rod like that is when the missus reported that she could only get 3 gears in the MG Maestro (don't laugh)......turned out she hit a manhole cover on a road stripped for re-surfacing, she managed to flatten the exhaust  against the sump....cracking it (alloy) and pushed the engine and gearbox back into the engine bay 2" :o

Straightened it out and the gears were fine......pity the sump wasn't!!

Tony

David H

Phil, I'll pop round and we can wade in to see if it is the linkage or possibly the box. Might be worth calling Jeremy also.

peetee

Hope you get it sorted easily and quickly Phil? Sounds like it might be that linkage?

alastair

Thats quite a bend in that linkage! Shout if you need a hand. Good luck

'The Gaffer'

Cheers guys,

Snuck off from work for an hour to have a closer look and took the linkage assy off, its very well made with roller bearing sleeves etc.

Dave, I think your angle grinding skills will come in handy - As the linkage is a solid bar, I recon a few mil taken off will allow the rod to pass over the casing without fouling it :) That way there will be no need to bend the bar whilst trying to keep the axis through it straight at both ends.

A good clean and regease should have the linkage good as new, gearbox seems to select 5th with linkage off so fingers crossed :-X

I'll be in touch.

Daley Down Under

Hairy Santa

We have the technology

and the BIGGEST HAMMERS

David H

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 05, April, 2011, 02:21:33 PM
Cheers guys,

Snuck off from work for an hour to have a closer look and took the linkage assy off, its very well made with roller bearing sleeves etc.

Dave, I think your angle grinding skills will come in handy - As the linkage is a solid bar, I recon a few mil taken off will allow the rod to pass over the casing without fouling it :) That way there will be no need to bend the bar whilst trying to keep the axis through it straight at both ends.

A good clean and regease should have the linkage good as new, gearbox seems to select 5th with linkage off so fingers crossed :-X

I'll be in touch.

Call Health & Safety. Get a risk assessment done first. Once thats been done I'll need planning permission. Then we need an architect, a quantity surveyor and a load of other idiots to tell me how to hold the angle grinder. It would be cheaper to buy another car mate.

:P

probably need to bring a plaster Phil. I've said too much.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: David H on 05, April, 2011, 09:41:10 PM
Call Health & Safety. Get a risk assessment done first. Once thats been done I'll need planning permission. Then we need an architect, a quantity surveyor and a load of other idiots to tell me how to hold the angle grinder. It would be cheaper to buy another car mate.

:P

probably need to bring a plaster Phil. I've said too much.

Dave, your approach to safety with an angle grinder is unquestionable. An assessment would simply be bureaucratic nonsense and a complete waste of time.

I have every confidence in you...

:o :o :o

Ps I've got plenty of plasters :)

Denzle

Dont you just love the banter on this forum.....Theres a laugh every day...... ;D

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Denzle on 06, April, 2011, 12:05:17 AM
Dont you just love the banter on this forum.....Theres a laugh every day...... ;D

Everyone needs a laugh a day Denz, I think its good for the soul ;D

stupott901

im just hoping dave's foot is grinder proof at least he has ear defence on

David H

Yes. They are titanium plated. Bought at a Health & Safety exhibition.

'The Gaffer'

Put gear linkage back together tonight after Daves expert grinder skills and went out for a test drive - gear change is now good as new.

Well chuffed :)

David H

Denzle

Nice to hear that.....Happy Motoring.... ;)

Daley Down Under

Phil - top news. See you at Stoneleigh.

PS cycled through Stoneleigh this evening

Adrian

'The Gaffer'

Cheers Adrian. I bet you rode from Bristol didn't you ;)

Be in touch about a-frame soon.