News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Shorting Problems

Started by Bulldog Bri, 18, April, 2011, 01:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog Bri

Have had the Bulldog in the garage for the last week having a little make over, but in the process seems to have developed a nasty short circuit with the headlights. Every time I turn them on, I blow the fuse, plus I seem to have lost use of the indicators and horn!!!  >:(

Does anyone know of a cheap/good auto elecrician that may be able to help or redo my loom. I did strip it out and refit the loom last year. It is a lot tidier than it was but still far from perfect  :'(

And I want it ready for Stoneleigh as well! I will keep working on it, but loosing patients fast  :'(

8)

YellaBelly

Sounds like you've managed to get a short somewhere in the 'make over' Bri.

Do you have lights on a single fuse or seperate for main and dip? I assume they are both on the same fuse/fuses?

If it's one for main and one for dip, try selecting main before you turn them on, that should eleimnate (or otherwise) the main beam from the problem.

If they are all on the same fuse, disconnect both lights at the unit and try reconnecting each in turn.

If that doesn't work then at least you know the problem is between the fuse and the lights.

Also, I assume sidelights are OK?

JB

Bulldog Bri

It's from the headlight switch, so as soon as I put the sidelights on thats when it blows... could be rear lights, dash lights front sides... dammed annoying ???

8)

YellaBelly

OK, if you have a multimeter Bri, disconnect everything from the switch, and check each line in turn for a short to earth. If there aren't any, then check across the switch to make sure it is not at fault.

Can't really explain anymore than that mate. It's always easier to do than explain.

If I lived a little closer I could come round and take a look for you.

JB

What did you do when it was in the garage then? just thought it might give us some clues as to where the possible problem is.

Quarrycars

Another useful way of finding a short is to connect a test light across the (blown) fuse and then wiggle/disconnect wiring until the light goes out.  One advantage, it sounds like a dead short, intermitents are a lot harder to find!

Furore Phil

One thing I learned from owing a TR7 is to always check the earth connectors in a car. A faulty earth can produce odd effects, like when operating indicators the entire light cluster flashes ! Always clean where the earth cable attaches to the chassis and use lots of copper grease or equivalent. Double check them with a multimeter.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Quarrycars on 18, April, 2011, 03:40:20 PM
Another useful way of finding a short is to connect a test light across the (blown) fuse and then wiggle/disconnect wiring until the light goes out.  One advantage, it sounds like a dead short, intermitents are a lot harder to find!

Agreed, great way to find a fault.

Yes check earth's as well.

If you get stuck Bri, drop me a PM and I will come and take a quick look.

Bulldog Bri

Thanks for all the ideas guys, tried them but in the end seemed to be taking half the loom out, so I have now taken the whole lot out and starting again from scratch!!! Using as many of the original wires as possible.

Looking a lot tidier now. Should have it finished in time for Stoneleigh.  :P

8)

'The Gaffer'

Good course of action Bri. Starting afresh is always a good idea on kits.