News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Fitting an Oil Cooler

Started by Grin-a-lot, 30, April, 2011, 04:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grin-a-lot

Sorry for the probably daft thread but:  I am pretty sure i've got everything I need to do the job but with Llandow only a couple of weeks away I just want to check that there aren't going to be any hidden surprises when I start the job.

The filter mounts onto the sandwich plate which mounts onto the block.  The plate is held in place by the clamping force of the filter on the male thread (i've got the male/female extension piece as well).  I've also got the male fittings for the hoses to fit on.

The thermostat sits between the plate and the cooler (i've got instructions on which connection does what).

Do I need to drain the sump before starting this since the filter sits quite high on the block?

When it comes to starting for the first time I will have effectively increased my oil capacity so should I run with what i've got and keep checking or should/could I fill the cooler with oil as well when I fit it to take account of the extra volume?

I'm looking forward to doing the job but don't want to get part way through, realise i'm stuck and then risk missing Llandow.  Equally because I work away from home i've only really got 3 days to do this although if it is as easy as it looks then it should only take a couple of hours I reckon.

Cheers,

Darren

Dixie

Darren.

The thermostat will allow oil to pass through to the cooler as well as back to engine at the same time, there is always some overflow, until 82deg is reach then it is 100% to cooler.

But I would fill the cooler with oil before you start the engine.

My cooler increased capacity by 2Ltrs

M

Hairy Santa

hi Darren

make sure you mount the cooler with the outlet upwards, and double check for leaks after you have done a test run
and as Dixie has said fill the cooler with oil prior to starting
Have some ptfe tape on hand just in case
job done  - its a good un

Pete