News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Blade Engine Health Check

Started by Newton, 06, May, 2011, 12:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newton

Hi Guys,

I've spoken to a number of you since I've joined and mentioned my Westies thirst for oil - all having agreed theirs also used more oil than you'd consider usual.  My engine is a '93 893 unit and following run to Stoneleigh plus trip to work and back (about 300miles) I recon she's drunk a litre  >:(.  Having had the car for a year and driven her regularly when weather permits I've never found more than a spot of oil in catch tank - however on Tuesday night I got a good gob of oil out which looked a bit Smeggy not more than a couple of cc's though also seemed to have a bit of a fuel smell to it.  Ran car to work on Weds and checked the catch tank again (70 mile run) this time got a small gob of oil but also an amount of clear fluid I assume to be water - mix had no real fuel odour this time and whilst the oil didn't look like mayonaise I suspect it was slightly emulsified - oil on dip stick appears to be clean although I've lost a load more.  I top oil up to upper mark on dip stick.  Coolant looks clean but will dip header to see if there are traces of oil.

So the question is have the others among you using the early blade engine had oil consumption of this level?

Dave H you followed me a good way up on Monday - I assume as you didn't mention anything you didn't see or smell oil being burnt.

The only oil I see evidence of being lost from the car originates around the reverse box - but then thats normal.

Have any of you had any experience with Head gasket problems on these engines - I assume thats the likely origin of water in the catch tank. 

All thoughts gratefully received.

Ta

Rob

Daley Down Under

Rob,

All carb engine blades are notoriously bullet-proof.  Only weak point is the gearbox.  I would not worry about oil consumption.  Mine (919 - RRV) used approx 0.5L per 150-200 miles.  Never missed a beat.  Mine did have a leak at the rocker cover gasket but never bothered with it.

Just enjoy and keep an eye on the level.

Adrian

Ace Fettler

Rob,

The previous 893 motor and the current 919 lump installed in my westy use about 1/2 a litre per 1000 miles under normal road use. So compared to mine yours has a bit of a thirst. If its not coming out of the breather or leaking then it has to be burning it.

The reverse box can be cured of throwing its oil out with a simple mod to the breather:

1.  block pin hole breather in the case above the westfield logo

2.  drill a hole in the spare filler plug in the top of the case and fit a plastic screen washer pipe elbow - I drilled mine so it was an interferance fit.

3.  Use a length of screen wash tube to connect the elbow to a "catch" bottle mounted on the bulkhead (I used a small bottle from a camping shop drilled in the bottom to take a fitting).

4. As oil heats and expands it blows into bottle and drains back as it cools - no more mess under the car.

Richard

'The Gaffer'

I owned a 919 carb'd blade for some time and can honestly say I hardly ever topped it up other than during oil changes. Perhaps a 1/3 litre per 250 miles. I was advised to keep the level to the top of the glass by Andy Bates at AB performance.

There is nothing he dosent know about blade engines, if you have any worries give him a ring - he loves a chat :) http://www.abperformance.co.uk/default.htm

Newton

Trouble is his phones so hot I've never managed to get hold of him yet.

Ace Fettler

FYI the Westfield reverse gearboxes are manufactured by EMR Engineering, Brackley http://www.emreng.co.uk/#Scene_1

They seem to be very helpful, and may be able to provide some spares etc.

Richard

Newton

Wallet now empty - new engine just started - Yippee

Now just need MOT

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Newton on 06, July, 2011, 10:56:24 PM
Wallet now empty - new engine just started - Yippee

Now just need MOT

Excellent :) Book your car into FCM for discounted and kit car friendly but professional MOT. Mention you are a member of the BKCC.

http://www.fcmmotorsport.co.uk Ask for John.