News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Propshaft Woes

Started by YellaBelly, 01, June, 2011, 07:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellaBelly

I'm really feeling like I could get rid of the damn kit even though I'm almost ready to submit the obscene IVA fee!!

I finally got my propshaft today, and it doesn't fit!  >:(

I measured, measured and measured again because I know there are different flanges for the English axles. I gave them the measurements I took and was confident that they were as near as i could get within 1mm.

Little did I realise that the holes are not eqi-distant from the centre. Measure one way from one hole to the next and it is one value, measure from the second hole to a third and it is longer! I gave the manufaturer the distance between 2 opposing holes and the distance from gearbox seal to diff flange. That is fine and the shaft sits nicely in place with enough forwward/backward slide on the output shaft.

It's just the damn flange! I should have known there would be a problem when they said the flange is normally either 87 or 109mm, and mine is around 93mm  ???

So basically, I now have to see what they say in reply to my email. It looks like the flange can just be replaced with the correct one (assuming there is one) as the joint is held together with internal circlips. My only worry is that the shaft will then not be properly balanced.

I haven't been able to get on the car for a couple of weeks and when I finally do, it's 2 steps forward and 4 steps back, I'm really miffed  :'( >:(

Denzle

Cheer up mate, these things are sent to try us.

Could you possibly make a drawing rub or a grease print from the flange, marking the inner & outer side.   Then cut it out and re-check again.
Then they have the exact dimentions to go from.

We all slip up at times, so your not on your own.  Hope you sort it soon and get back to enjoying your build.

Thinking of you.......Denzle... ;)

foggy

Like Denzal said-cheer up me ole mate. I've had a few woes myself this week, droped my crash helmet,£150.00 for a new one! Thought that I would have the Hood back,but still in the workshop, these things are sent to try us and sometimes they do

Grin-a-lot

Oh bugger, afraid I can't help in anyway apart from share my own problems!  In the pub last night I confused a pretty Californian girl's accent with a Glaswegian one. She saw the funny side but it made me realise I need to cut back on the beer!

Denzle

Quote from: Grin-a-lot on 01, June, 2011, 08:50:24 PM
Oh bugger, afraid I can't help in anyway apart from share my own problems!  In the pub last night I confused a pretty Californian girl's accent with a Glaswegian one. She saw the funny side but it made me realise I need to cut back on the beer!

"What"...A Californian accent with a Glaswegien.....My god you must have been well and truly p****d....
                                        Denzle.... ;D

andygtm

I am not embarassed to say that I have been known to be sat on the toilet with my head in my hands blubbing and cussing at 1.30am, up for work at 5am in the past. But when the jobs done you soon forget about the problems and the best thing is you sorted out yourself.  :)

'The Gaffer'

Some good words of encouragement there John.

I think we all worry too much from time to time, lost count of the number of nights I've gone to bed with stuff on my mind trying to sleep - only to find out a few days time its all sorted and forgotten about.

Keep the enthusiasm mate and lets see you at a meet soon :)

YellaBelly

Thanks for all the positive vibes guys :D

It's just so close, and I really expected to be able to bring the Locost to 'Denzle's Day Out' but it's looking very unlikely unless I get a first-time pass at the test (which is even more unlikely!)

I'm waiting for a reply from D & F to see what happens next. I'll post the result on here.

Cheers guys ;)

JB

YellaBelly

Well, finally got my replacement flange and UJ for the propshaft. This one is too BIG!!  >:( >:( :'(

So the original one is too small, the replacement is too big, I must therefore have an odd-sized flange fitted to my english diff!! So I now need to source another diff flange, either the smaller one (preferred as i won't have to touch the propshaft) or a large one.

Any ideas/help would be gratefully received before I torch the damn car!  >:( >:(

John

'The Gaffer'

Sorry to hear that mate, hope you get it sorted :(

Bulldog Bri

Is there anyway you can take the flange off the diff with you to where your getting your prop' bits?

8)

YellaBelly

Hi Brian,

I am using D&F so not exactly local :(

But I have just bought another Diff of the Bay (not quite complete) which has the 109mm flange fitted, so I think the best thing to do is replace the flange and crush washer on my diff with that one. At least then I can fit the new larger flange that D&F sent me along with the new UJ and we should be back in business.....I hope  ???

Hey, ho. So much for getting the car done and tested for the trip up to Denzle's neck of the woods :(

Bulldog Bri

I do have the old prop that came with the Merlin, it's for the 4speed ford box at one end and Cortina rear axle if thats any help.

8)

YellaBelly

Thanks for the offer Bri. I'll let you know how it goes mate ;)

JB