News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Cornering Problem advice needed!

Started by Grin-a-lot, 07, August, 2011, 06:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grin-a-lot

Following on from my big spinning session at Donnington, it led me to wondering why I couldn't go around corners.  Now, the vast majority of the issue is, frankly, incompetence.  However, Dave Bence noticed that my tires, apart from being about 8 years old, are also Mud and Snow tyres!

So, what suggestions are there for good tyres?  I'd be using the car for 2/3 trackdays a year and general dry weather road driving.

I've seen AO48s, AO21s and R888 all mentioned in the past but anyone got any suggestions to go on my 13" rims?

'The Gaffer'

A good set up at Track Developments and a set of AO48's will do the trick.

Daley Down Under

Gaffer is right and if you want to spend a bit less on tyres, try Toyo R1Rs - they are a bit less hardcore than A048s or R888s and nearly half the price

Adrian

tony.g

I had Khumo KU31's on my Lotus Elan which were really good and even cheaper than the Toyo's.

Tony

David H

i've tried many. AO48s were the best all rounder for the Westy. I little more forgiving than the 888s as the side walls are more flexible. I found them ok in the wet too. I havre a set of worn ao48s that you are welcome to have for free to try out on track. They just need taking off some wheels.

Set up is paramount.  I have preferred settings whenever you get in touch

Krazyken

Get a set up at TD and ring Steve Harkness for the best advice & price on track/road tyres.  Both offer discounts to BKCC supporting members.

robp

Quote from: MarlboroCar on 07, August, 2011, 08:52:55 PM
Gaffer is right and if you want to spend a bit less on tyres, try Toyo R1Rs - they are a bit less hardcore than A048s or R888s and nearly half the price

Adrian

The R888 tyres on my Westfield have reached the point where they are going to need to be replaced soon.  I'm tempted to go for R1Rs due to cost (plus I run slicks on track when dry).  However, I love the 888s.  Let see what deal I can get on the latter.

YellaBelly

Don't forget chap, you have the same (although not as drastic) issue as me........toe-out on the rear. Dave at TD did say that mine would try and step out on corners and roundabouts if I gave it any welly as the loaded wheel would try and bring the rear round. So I'm guessing that with that and the tyres, you are not going to have a lot of chance :)

Just a thought ;)

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: robp on 27, August, 2013, 05:12:29 PM
I'm tempted to go for R1Rs due to cost (plus I run slicks on track when dry).  However, I love the 888s.  Let see what deal I can get on the latter.

Rob, call Steve Benton at Brunel Tyres, they are just off ashley hill, tell him you are a BKCC supporting member and he will do you a good deal.
0117 955 5510        info@bruneltyres.com

paintman

Use R1r's on the Hood and they seem very good for road us.......never tracked them thou. ???

Tony

Lucky Ed

Quote from: robp on 27, August, 2013, 05:12:29 PM
Quote from: MarlboroCar on 07, August, 2011, 08:52:55 PM

Adrian

The R888 tyres on my Westfield have reached the point where they are going to need to be replaced soon.  I'm tempted to go for R1Rs due to cost (plus I run slicks on track when dry).  However, I love the 888s.  Let see what deal I can get on the latter.

I have had the same thoughts as you Rob. I was thinking of replacing my T1Rs with R1Rs in the hope that they might double up as road tyres and to use as wets on track, as I find the T1Rs much too hard for a light car - I don't think they're ever going to wear out!

Has anybody else had any experience of R1Rs?

Krazyken

I know a gent who fitted R1R's to his Lotus Elise and really rated them as a good compromise for road, track, wet & dry.

Moleman

I really like the 888's on the road. I have found mine seem to last along time on the road & are very good.
I do run slicks for trackday though & I do have T1r's but I haven't used yet.  :)

robp

Well, I've done it.  I've gone for another set of R888s for the Westfield.  They are quite a bit more expensive than they used to be.  However, I've been using 888's for years now and I really love them.  Worth the extra in my opinion.  Each set I've had has lasted for over 2 years and they offer great performance.

I've spent time and money on getting the suspension, brakes and steering sorted and set up properly on the car so, IMHO, the tyres are a major part.

I may sell the old R888 (195/50/15, GG compound).  They still have a little road legal life left and may be of interest to someone for track use too.  I'll post up some photos on here when I can.

Moleman

Quote from: robp on 28, August, 2013, 09:50:44 PM
Well, I've done it.  I've gone for another set of R888s for the Westfield.  They are quite a bit more expensive than they used to be.  However, I've been using 888's for years now and I really love them.  Worth the extra in my opinion.  Each set I've had has lasted for over 2 years and they offer great performance.

I've spent time and money on getting the suspension, brakes and steering sorted and set up properly on the car so, IMHO, the tyres are a major part.

That's pretty much what I think too mate.  :)
How much do you want for them? I have a good set on my tidy wheels but I also run a nearly warn set on another set of wheels for the track when it's not good enough for slicks.    ;D

Krazyken

Believe it or not, you actually get slightly more grip from a worn set of 888's as you don't have the movement in the blocks of rubber where they have worn down.  It may also be worth taking them to Steve Harkness as he can cut some more tread to give you a bit more life.

Moleman

I didn't know that Ken.  :o I will give that a go after my warn set gets alittle more use.  :D

robp

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 27, August, 2013, 05:38:36 PM
Rob, call Steve Benton at Brunel Tyres, they are just off ashley hill, tell him you are a BKCC supporting member and he will do you a good deal.

Yep, got the R888s from Brunel Tyres.  Good price and excellent service from Steve and the guys.  :)

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: robp on 02, September, 2013, 02:14:35 PM
Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 27, August, 2013, 05:38:36 PM

Yep, got the R888s from Brunel Tyres.  Good price and excellent service from Steve and the guys.  :)

Sorted, I cant fault them :)