News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Pinto Running Rough

Started by YellaBelly, 23, August, 2011, 04:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellaBelly

Hello all. Finally got my fuel tank connected up so I can run the engine for more than a few seconds. I've sorted the first (of many I'm sure) leaks, one fuel, one water. Just got to sort the rocker cover leak now. All these showing themselves once I got the engine to a decent temperature. I had an issue with the temp gauge (VDO) reading over the red even when the engine was only hot but not excessive. I've been advised it's because of incompatability between the sender (Ford) and the guage. So I set my adjustable CBS fan switch to kick in at 90deg and used resistors inline with the feed to the temp gauge to give me a 'normal' reading of between 1/2 and 2/3 on the guage. So unless the fan thermo is lying I should be OK there.

The other issue I have is that when I rev the engine, it seems to have a little lag before the revs catch up, and when I take it up to about 4000 revs there is occasional popping in the exhaust. I have checked the plugs and they seem sooted up so I am guessing a rich mixture. I'm not sure if I can 'tweak' it out (once I find the screw - 32/36 DGAV Weber carb), or if it may be something else, maybe jet size? I'm not sure what is in there but as far as I am aware, the 2V DGAV was only fitted to the 2L Pinto so I am assuming it is jetted OK?

I did have an issue with an air leak between the engine breather and inlet manifold, but I am fitting a catch tank anyhow so can blank the manifold connector off.

A last question for the knowledgeable out there: What should I run the timing at for unleaded? (Can't afford to have the valves done and won't be doing monster miles so unleaded won't be an issue). I'm pretty sure standard setting is 8deg BTC for the Bosch Points setup.

Thanks guys.

John

Grin-a-lot

If its anything like the DCOE carbs on my crossflow then it might just be a case that the idle mixture screws need tweaking or perhaps the jets are not appropriate.  Any chance that you can find a similar spec engine/carb and see what jets they are using?  At least that might confirm if you are in the right ball park.

I think that there are some jetting programmes on t'internet that will calculate what jets you should/could have and again, at least it will get you into the right ball park.

I used Paul at Circuit Motors in Castle Combe (next to the circuit) to tune my carbs and I rate him highly should you wish to get it on a rolling road.

paintman

Hi John,

I got a 2.0 Pinto in the Hood, what I did to sort out my Dgav was to first, change it to manual choke, buy a carb kit with all new gaskets, diaphragms and the correct jets for a 2.00 Sierra and rebuild the carb.....doesn't take too long, straightforward enough and at least you know there's no leaks or puntured diaphragms to give you grief.

For the Dgav turn the mixture screw IN then back OUT 2--2 1/2 turns till it it runs smoothest.

For the idle speed turn the screw in 1--1 1/2 turns (max) after the screw has made contact with the shoulder of the cam on the lever.  This should give you a tick over of about 900 rpm.

I timed my ignition by turning the distributor from 8 degrees a  little bit at a time and road testing it till i hit on the best timing without pinking......it was wayout from where i started from!

Hope this helps.  Tony

Ps.  Mine pops a lot on the over-run.....don't worry too much about it as long as the plugs are not white.

YellaBelly

Thanks for the input guys.

Tony, I'm not sure but I think my engine is from a Cortina or similar. It is the 2.0 Block rather than the 205 so is not from a Sierra I think (but willing to be corrected :))

I have seen the refurb kits on eBay and also the jets.

Any idea what size jets I should have for the 2.0 Pinto block?

JB

paintman

Mine has a 205 block but i think they use them as the walls are thicker around the cylinders for boring out.    I would have thought a 2 litre referb. kit with jets for a Dgav would be ok if it's in standard tune......a 2 litres a 2 litre after all.

Tony

YellaBelly

One last thing Tony, how easy is it to convert to manual choke, and is there a kit (cheapish please :) ) available?

John

paintman

The conversion is very easy...... you do away with the piping from the heated manifold to the carb.  The housing containing the bi metal strip is dispensed with and replaced with the housing which comes with the conversion kit, to which you fit the cable.

I got mine in a little car spares shop but you can get them on Ebay for around £30......worth every penny as it is much easier getting your car started without flooding it!

Tony

YellaBelly

Thanks chap :)

I've had a look on the bay of E but can only find a couple at around £60+ :o

I'm sure I can make up something to suit, I've built the damn car from scratch for God's sake! :D

Time for a Heath Robinson moment methinks.....:)