+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Help!

Started by YellaBelly, 31, August, 2011, 08:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellaBelly

Need some help here guys. To cut a long story short, I've adjusted the points on my Bosch Dizzy for the Pinto twice in as many days (they were closed up) and today I had the same fault but noticed that the heel that runs on the cam was almost melted away :o :o

Any ideas why the damn thing is getting so hot? Really miffed now  >:(

John

Hairy Santa

did you put any HMP grease on it

paintman

Why not put a pointless distributor in as fitted to later model Sierras, comes with a small module.    Only cost you about £25 at a scrappies...... dead reliable.

YellaBelly

Is that easy enough to do Tony? I have another Hall Effect dizzy I got with a 1.6 Pinto and I also have the amplifier but have no idea if it works.

It would certainly save me a lot of hassle.

The only thing that worries me is that someone on another forum has suggested it could be that I have a 9V coil and no ballast resistor. I am not sure what voltage the coil is, I have another couple sat in the garage but don't know if there are any disginguishing numbers on them.

paintman

I've got a spare coil and module if you need any numbers checking out.

robp

Quote from: YellaBelly on 31, August, 2011, 08:54:46 PM

the heel that runs on the cam was almost melted away :o :o

it could be that I have a 9V coil and no ballast resistor

Why would the coil and ballast resistor cause the cam follower to wear?

YellaBelly

No idea Rob! It's something someone suggested on another forum. I asked that very same question but haven't got a reply yet. That's not the issue anyhow as I checked the coil and it's got 12V on the sticker.

Tony, thanks for that, I am going to try and fit the other dizzy and module this weekend, if you're going to the meet tonight I'll bend your ear some more :D

Hairy Santa

I have seen it years ago where due to the ballast resister going faulty or open circuit  the spring that operates the cam lob heel gets rather warmish, and can also remember someone putting the wrong hand points on and couldnt figure out why they lasted such a short time, I was amazed they even got them to fit

Bring your Dizzy with you tonight

YellaBelly