News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Grease cleaners and engine paint

Started by Richard, 20, July, 2009, 11:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

More opinions wanted.

I have some Swarfega for grease, just hanging around in garage so assume that will be fine, however what else do people use ?

Engine paint ?  seems to be a few options here, after cleaning bits would like to tidy them up before refitting, what do people use or have experience of ?

dave_bence

When I did a Pinto engine (iron block and head), I used paraffin and a stiff brush to remove all oil and dirt. I tried Gunk, but wasn't impressed with it.

Next, I used various decoking brushes in an electric drill to remove all rust.

Finally, two coats of Halfords engine enamel.

Very pleased with result.

Edited to add: If you meant grease cleaners for your hands, try Comma Manista. Superb stuff!

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: dave_bence on 20, July, 2009, 04:18:18 PM
If you meant grease cleaners for your hands, try Comma Manista. Superb stuff!

Agreed, I have used it and it works.

I'm sure Swarfega used to work, but maybe its a bit watered down these days. Either that or the grease has changed. ;D

For heavey degreasing of parts I use a Halfords aerosol spray degreaser. Just open all the doors and windows when you use it, its like Mustard gas  :o

Furore Phil

The best thing I found for cleaning engines is Fairy oven cleaner ! Not the nasty stuff in aerosols but the orange scented stuff on pump action bottlles. Yes I know this sounds like a wind up, but it really does work. I sprayed it on neat on an old pinto block and it came up a treat. You can't use the realy nasty stuff as I think it disolves aluminium (read the label).

I also had access to a steam wallpaper stripper, which works well. If you use the "jet" nozzel to get a fast stream of steam, it will clean out really old baked in gunk.

Oh and when the wife is not looking, try placing small parts in the dishwasher. You can't have plates etc ! just in case...

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Phil on 16, August, 2009, 07:59:06 PM
Oh and when the wife is not looking, try placing small parts in the dishwasher. You can't have plates etc ! just in case...

Haha I like it ;D

Richard

Good tips there Phil !

Suspect Speedy J will already have clocked that one for Mr Toniq though.

PhilW

I did this

with Lidl engine cleaner(excellent stuff) and a pressure washer, it was then painted with normal engine paint and given a coat of laquer.