News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Carb confusion!

Started by Grin-a-lot, 10, December, 2011, 01:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grin-a-lot

I've got a DCOE 40 carbs and while rebuilding it I noticed these small holes.

One is hollow so that you can see the idle air/fuel screw and the other is blocked.  I shouldve thought that both barrels would be the same.  What makes me curious is that i've always struggled to get the car tuned properly and on a couple of cylinders it always seems to run a bit rich despite what you do.

I don't suppose anyone can shed any light on this?  I've got them off the car at the moment so may pop down to a garage if no-body here knows.

Ta muchly...

'The Gaffer'

How strange, I have looked at a few online pics and dont see those holes on other carbs. These seem to be behind the gaskets?

Not even shown on parts diagram, a mystery maybe.

Grin-a-lot

It's the same as the overhaul kit; the holes don't feature at all.  I'm suspicious that 1 barrel on each carb is like that and 2 cylinders are hard to tune because the screw has almost no effect.  On the plus side the rebuild seems to have gone well!

Grin-a-lot

Right, it turns out that the holes are idling/progression holes and the blockage is a lead plug designed to block it.  What I've yet to figure out is why one side has it, why one doesn't and what I need to do about it.

The plot thickens...

Grin-a-lot

I think we have a winner.  The lead plugs are there to be drilled should its associated channel require cleaning/flushing.  Why it has gone missing remains to be seen but explains why the idle screw does nothing - it's essentially a big air leak on the idle circuit.

So the plan is to bung it with some solder wire when I get back to home, refit and retune the carbs and enjoy many miles of improved fuel economy and revel in correct fuelling loveliness!

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Grin-a-lot on 16, December, 2011, 10:56:44 AM
I think we have a winner.  The lead plugs are there to be drilled should its associated channel require cleaning/flushing.  Why it has gone missing remains to be seen but explains why the idle screw does nothing - it's essentially a big air leak on the idle circuit.

So the plan is to bung it with some solder wire when I get back to home, refit and retune the carbs and enjoy many miles of improved fuel economy and revel in correct fuelling loveliness!

Result :)

David H