News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Throttle Bodies

Started by Dazzer, 06, January, 2012, 03:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dazzer

Can anyone help me with this. I have an 1800 zetec fitted in the westfield and cant afford the jenvey throttle bodies so have opted to look for motorbike bodies, prefebrably gsxr 600, 2000 - 2003, as have been told they are individually mountable. Only problem is i dont know what else i will i need to get ............. a new ecu, rolling road set-up etc etc. Any advice on what to look for and what to ensure is included with the throttle bodies would be much appreciated. ;)

chrislandy

Hullo,
If you go throttle bodies (whether jenvey's or other type) you will need some form of inlet manifold, programable ecu (emerald/DTA/MBE etc), custom wiring loom, custom injector rail possibly, new air filters or airbox, a whole host of made to measure widgets and sensors, rolling road setup, and depending if you are mechanically and electronically minded someone to make it and put it all together. You will be looking at a fair wedge with or without jenvy's.

What else have you done to the engine?
Chris.

Dazzer

Nothing else done yet........... I only got the car in Sept and have concentrated on getting the geometry set up - Thanks to Josh at Bridgewater College, a huge improvement - and fitting some cosmetic accessories but am now looking to improve performance. Going to be getting the westfield catless exhaust system in next few weeks hopefully and then look at the major work of the throttle bodies, otherwise will just look to modify the air intake and get rid of the standard air box and filter. Unless someone else has an idea or some mods they don't want or willing to sell cheap..... :D

chrislandy

All I can advise (from experience) is that fitting a programable ecu should be the last and final thing you do to the engine to get the best value from the installation you should only do the mapping once as it will be a few hundred quid a time, if you fit new cams etc after mapping it, you would ideally need to remap again at another few hundred so so the engine, exhaust etc first then TB, ECU and map.

SPAXIMUS

It can be done for a reasonable cost, but you have a choice, quick means buying everything from one scource like raceline, or retro ford do a kit which is not bad for what you get in it. The other is to collect bits and do it that way. First off is a Focus st manifold, GSXR throttle boddies, a megasquirt ecu, electric fuel pump, pressure regulator etc etc. There are other bits but depending what is on there at the moment you could do this for under £1000 less if you have good bits to sell. Mapping is straight forward but with a megasquirt many rolling roads do not like them. A mate of mine did all his with an ARF meter and driving on the road. His was quick and cost under £400 but he built the ecu etc himself.

Camber Dave

For the car I am building I am using a Toyota 4 AGe engine with its existing injectors. But I have removed the huge inlet manifold and will be using Dellorto carbs as throttle bodies. This gives me 90mm inlet trumpets even using the smallest available bell mouths.
I will add a throtle position sensor, trigger wheel etc. and blank off the existing Dissy hole as it relies on the Toyota ECU.
When asking round  I also found that Rolling road operators don't like Megasquirt, my first choice, so am saving for an Emerald. The rolling road operator recomended them as the aftermarket service is unrivalled. Even used ones are fetching £350 and more on ebay so they are very popular.

Normally having spent money and time on our prefered choice we tend to defend it against all desenting opinion.
What have you guys that have used different Ecu's on the same engine found out about Megesquirt or Emerald vs other Ecu's?