News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Toyo R888

Started by Moleman, 28, February, 2012, 09:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moleman

Hi, This may be a silly question but can anyone confirm if the Toyo R888 are road legal tyres or not?
I'm sure they are but I had a conversation with a mechanic who is convinced they are not. Even my mate who is a copper didn't know.
I goggled it but only got site's selling them, so if anyone can point me into the right direction that would be great  :-\

Dazzer

My understanding is that they are road legal but you will suffer with performance due to the lack of heat generated to give you the grip you would expect unless you treat the road as a race track....... :D ............also they will wear out alot Quicker.  :(  This is only my opinon unless someone else knows better

robp

Yes, road legal (for now). Go and get a set. Great boots.

'The Gaffer'

Yes they are road legal, as Dazzer says they can wear faster but with the light weight of a kit car this is not too much of a problem around town. On track, yes they will wear faster than a road tyre but the grip is much better. There are a few rubber compounds too, personally I would go with a medium.

Hairy Santa

I woud have thought the speed rating would be the important thing

The insurance companies will riggle on this if you had a heavy one

plus they are shite in the wet or damp 

Moleman

Thanks for all your advice guys.  ;D

Krazyken

I have gone through 3 sets of 888's now and they are definitely road legal.  They come in various compounds I normally go for GG which is the hardest as this provides a good compromise between road wear and track use.  Speak with Steve Harkness at Harkness Tyres to get the best deal and state that you are a BKCC member.

A set of 888's last me 2 years incl. all road and track day use, they still provide grip in the damp but aquaplane on standing water.