+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

New Coilovers Fitted + Corner Weighting

Started by 'Mendip Wurzel', 14, March, 2012, 09:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

'Mendip Wurzel'

I just fitted some new Gaz coilover to the rear and did my DIY adjustment of the camber/tow and corner weight.

The newly fitted adjustable coilovers (16 inch with 300lb 2.25" diam springs)

DIY 'corner weighting' of car using bathroom scales (this is the heavy person variety which are cheap to purchase and these go up to 250kg, which is more that enough for my generally heavier V8 engine kit car).

Levelling car, adjusting and 'corner weighting'

Camber and toe were adjusted using an aluminium tapered shim plate which seems to be the usual way for the Sierra type back axle, you can adjust using just washers.

'The Gaffer'

Nice bit of DIY there. How does the car feel with the new coilovers on?

YellaBelly

Nice on Mendip :)

Is it OK to use a single set of scales on one wheel as long as the others are kept at the same height as the one being checked (as shown in your pics)?

I ask because I want to have a go at setting mine up in a similar fashion. I have a reasonably level garage floor so hoefully it will get them close enough.

Ta.

John

'Mendip Wurzel'

Quote from: YellaBelly on 14, March, 2012, 10:57:05 AM
Nice on Mendip :)

Is it OK to use a single set of scales on one wheel as long as the others are kept at the same height as the one being checked (as shown in your pics)?

I ask because I want to have a go at setting mine up in a similar fashion. I have a reasonably level garage floor so hoefully it will get them close enough.

Ta.

John

John
As you suggest you need to keep the car as level as you can, I block up the other wheel with a same thickness piece of wood as the scales. Two scales would probably be better but one scale works fine for me and the process is fast. I actually reckon this setup is more acurate than the lever corner weight things that lift one wheel and cost a lot more money. The scales that I have is the Salter 9064 and cost about £35 from Argos, you can get cheaper heavy weight scales. On the front of the car with the weight V8 engine I get a 205kg reading so plenty of headroom with the 250kg max weight.
Kevin   

YellaBelly

Thanks Kevin.

Once I've sorted my overheating issues and leaking brakes --- again!  >:( I'll give it a go.

Cheers chap :)

'Mendip Wurzel'

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 14, March, 2012, 10:48:38 AM
Nice bit of DIY there. How does the car feel with the new coilovers on?
I haven't actaully used the car yet Phil, too cold. They look nice though so that gives me pleasure. One of the main reasons for installing is so I can raise the ride height with the wife in the car, to stop us bottoming out... this seems to happen more and more for some reason!
Kevin

'Mendip Wurzel'

Quote from: YellaBelly on 15, March, 2012, 08:39:17 PM
Thanks Kevin.

Once I've sorted my overheating issues and leaking brakes --- again!  >:( I'll give it a go.

Cheers chap :)
Overheating has been the bain of my life on hot summer days....
I have recently fitted more fans and replaced the main fan with a more powerful unit. I now have a total of 5 fans that come on at different temperatures.
I am hoping that I will not have the same problems this summer.

chrislandy

Quote from: 'Mendip Wurzel' on 15, March, 2012, 08:50:09 PM
I have recently fitted more fans and replaced the main fan with a more powerful unit. I now have a total of 5 fans that come on at different temperatures.

5 fans! what are you running in that?

'Mendip Wurzel'

Quote from: chrislandy on 16, March, 2012, 11:56:12 AM
Quote from: 'Mendip Wurzel' on 15, March, 2012, 08:50:09 PM

5 fans! what are you running in that?

I have one large fan to the rear of the radiator, two smaller ones at the front and two fans directed either side of the engine to take away exhaust heat and a 4 core radiator. It is a V8 Rover engine. Luckily it is cooler on summer nights so less fans running when I have the headlights on, otherwise I think my olde alternator would struggle to keep up...

chrislandy

There's something fundamentally wrong there. I've got a 3.9V8 landy with a 2 core rad and a 12" fan. The Shelsley is running close to 300hp mid engined with a 600x300 x 4 core plus a 600x250x3core charge cooler rad in front of it with only a 9" fan (plus oil cooler in the rear side vent) and that has virtually no air flow in the engine bay, the fans in both cars never come on when driving.

As a rule, I've always been told you shouldn't run a fan pulling and a fan pushing over the same or intersecting areas of radiator as it can stall the air, effectively cancelling the fans action.

Have you sealed the air path around the rad i.e. shrouding & foam/sealant, so all the air forced into the front goes through the rad?

'Mendip Wurzel'

Quote from: chrislandy on 16, March, 2012, 07:47:52 PM
There's something fundamentally wrong there. I've got a 3.9V8 landy with a 2 core rad and a 12" fan. The Shelsley is running close to 300hp mid engined with a 600x300 x 4 core plus a 600x250x3core charge cooler rad in front of it with only a 9" fan (plus oil cooler in the rear side vent) and that has virtually no air flow in the engine bay, the fans in both cars never come on when driving.

As a rule, I've always been told you shouldn't run a fan pulling and a fan pushing over the same or intersecting areas of radiator as it can stall the air, effectively cancelling the fans action.

Have you sealed the air path around the rad i.e. shrouding & foam/sealant, so all the air forced into the front goes through the rad?
It's a good point what you say about sealing the front so all of the air goes through the radiator. In answer to your question I have sort of half done it and is maybe something I should be thinking about doing properly. I have sort of avoided this because it all looks quite difficult to seal this area property because of the moving bonnet and the bits of chassis to mould around. 
Thanks
Kevin