News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

compression

Started by foggy, 24, March, 2012, 07:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foggy

just checked the compression not quite shaw wot it should be 2ltr pinto to c if there were all the same there not 150 140 130 140  dose not burn oil  could it b the valves tho i had the carbs set up [40 webbers] last year it still burning rich the plugs are black  so i am gussing the head will b as well anyone got any idears   

paintman

I would say they were pretty good.....you rarely get them identical on a old engine unless it's just been rebuilt with new valve guides and pistons. ::)

tony

'Mendip Wurzel'

I agree with Paintman about your compression test.... they usually reckon about a 10% difference is normal, so your result look about right.

If you are not burning oil then one would assume the engine is running too rich.

foggy

yes its runing rich wot i am  going to do is put some red x in to the cylinders that might help it should b back on the road in april my son whanted to b added to the insurance so he can take it out didnt cost that much more just hope i get a look in

David H

SPAXIMUS

Red ex will only clean the carb tracts and the valves so far, but as you have said it is burning no oil I suspect you will see no benefit. If the car is still running rich it is a set up problem, where did you have the carbs done? Setting up twin carbs is not easy and getting the right jets sizes across the range is a dying art. Dave at Interpro still does this and is very good but not cheap. If you add up the wasted fuel and the possibility of further damage due to bore wash, the excess petrol washing the lubrication away, the cost of having it correct is easily covered.

foggy

hi  do u   have a number for interpro looked on the net could not find any thing u can  send   p. m me if u whant

SPAXIMUS

Interpro

16 Walker Way
Thornbury Industrial Estate
Thornbury
Bristol

BS35 3US
Tel:    01454 412 77

Easy to find.

Lucky Ed

I recently used Circuit Motors at Castle Coombe, Paul was a brill guy to deal with and did an ace job on my Mac1.

Was running rich and like a bag of nails at anything under 4K. He changed the chokes and stopped numerous air leaks
and it now runs like a sewing machine - doesnt even need choke form cold and has double the torque @ 2500 rpm
without any loss at the top end!

Great job but not cheap - worth a call ;D

01249 782596

Grin-a-lot

+1 for Paul at Circuit Motors, did my crossflow on twin carbs and made a big difference to the running as well.

foggy

cheers will give them a bell  tomorrow