News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Aluminium panels - opinions / experience

Started by Richard, 27, July, 2009, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Folks, a little bit of discussion about this so thought I'd post asking for some advice.

Seem to have sorted getting lovely smooth edges on the panels, best finish seems to be from the longer sanding route but that little de-burring tool is helpful.

This is a two stage ask;
1)  before fitting aluminium panels and it will be a little while before I get to the rest of them, how do you prepare them for painting?
2) Should they be prepared for painting before fitting, painted before, prepared but painted after IVA ?

Help please  :-\

Furore Phil

Hi,

I've allways found it best to first sand them down a bit first, using a nice fine sand block. The slightly rough surface should give the primer something to grip. Once that is done I then clean with white spirits. Wear latex / rubber gloves to keep al grease off ! Once the primer is on, you can make that nice & smmoth for the top coat. Don't forget to paint them in a clean area, hoover up any dust first. Spray cans work well, lots of light coats, not heavy, or you will get runs & drips