+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Almost a Panic!

Started by YellaBelly, 22, May, 2012, 09:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellaBelly

Here's me waiting for the test date and after doing a few last-minute tidy ups today and fitting a new battery because it seemed a little reluctant to start when warm and I know the battery is fairly old now. Drove the car up and down the drive to the main road a few times just to make sure all was OK. Car stalled, restarted, but still a little reluctant. Drove it back up the drive, stopped it, tried to start it and it would hardly turn over!

After a little head scratching, some choice words and a lot of wingeing, I decided to strip the starter and see if that was the problem. It was pretty warm which straight away made me suspicious. Found the commutator and brushes really manky so cleaned them up, also cleaned up all the connections and the main earth.

Tried again, and the motor spun much more quickly, so I guess that was the fault? Probably didn't need a new battery then, but at least I have one now so can forget about that for a while. I'd have been well miffed if the car had failed to start during the IVA :o probably be a fail.

JB

'The Gaffer'

I would go with bad earth or connections, lets hope you dont have any more probs.

Grin-a-lot

I'm biting my nails listening to your updates; I hope it all works out for you!

YellaBelly

:D

Don't forget Peterw and Brian ;)

Bulldog Bri

Still finding jobs to do here as well John,  ::) will have to removed the dash again as the fog light now seem to be able to work on their own without the sidelights being on first!!!!!! how thats changed I don't know, I'm sure I wired them up as they should be!

8)

YellaBelly

It's a real PITA isn't it?! I went to check something else on mine yesterday and I had lost Hazards, Horn, Fan  ??? Turns out I had pulled the feed off the fuse box when I was naffing about around the battery  :-[

Have you applied then?

paintman

Isn't Kit Car ownership fun!!! ;D.......never know what's going to happen next.  lol  ::) :D

Bulldog Bri

Getting very close now to plucking up the courage to send of the apliction. Now sorting out a CD of pics to send off and checking the car again.  ::)

Now I'm really pooing myself.  ;D

8)

YellaBelly

God knows why we get so damn worried about it all mate? At the end of the day, the worst that can happen is a fail with a list of 'to do' jobs which should almost guarantee a pass at the re-test. I know it's another £90, but after all this time, effort and money I ain't giving up now! :)

peterw