News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

IVA-able chassis

Started by OBR, 05, October, 2012, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OBR

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping for a bit of advise and i'm pretty sure somebody on this wonderful forum will be able to help me!

I sold my Dutton earlier in the year after realising that it was never going to be the kit I wanted and throwing money at it would just cause more problems with our friends at the DVLA!

So what i'd like to do now is buy an unfinished project, such as a Westfield SEI, Indy, Tiger Avon or similar.  I'd then finish it to my spec and get it IVA'd.

My question therefore is, are there any of these kits which it wouldn't be possible to pass an IVA with?  I suppose i'm just worried about buying something which is beng sold because it'll never pass an IVA test, like I was told my Dutton wouldn't.

I'm hoping that any of these kits will pass an IVA, but just need careful consideration when fitting seats, lights, trim, steering  columns etc etc, but as i've mentioned don't want to start a project which would never be suitable and don't really want to have to take the IVA book with me to look at every chassis/unfinished project I look at.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, again i've come here because I realise that there are people on here who have passed IVA's and as somebody who hasnt been through the process I appreciate any help or feedback.

Bulldog Bri

Im curious as to why you think the Dutton wouldn't pass an IVA, anything on the chassis can be modified (cut off, refabriated, welded or just edges rounded). Bodywork can be changed as well headlight possitions can be moved, edges can be covered/padded and so on.  ??? Once it's through the IVA then you make it the car you want, trim wise, colour and any extras.  ;D

8)

Sumov8

I would agree with Brian in that most kits could be made to pass an IVA test it just depends on the amount of re work you are prepared to do.

I think the main issue around older kit cars is where they are incorrectly registered, and then have to pass a new test that they were never designed to pass.
commen faults being headlamp height or sharp parts of the car that would strike parts of the body on impact in an accident.

The seven style kits you refer to would all pass an IVA test if the correct guides are followed, they would soon go ut of business if they were to fail due to a design flaw.

Have a look at the type of kits being sold as non finished and this will give you a guide :)

YellaBelly

+1 to the above.

Just make sure you understand as best you can the IVA manual, and put pictures up if you are unsure about anything and get advice. Pre IVA piccies are always good too, it's suprising what a few more pairs of eyes can spot ;)

JB

OBR

Thanks, thats certainly given me a lot more confidence.

With regards to my old Dutton, it was correctly registered but I really wanted to change the bodywork and obviously you then get into the 'is it still a dutton' debate. As you quite rightly say Sumo its more that the older kits were not designed to pass an IVA, or even that the IVA is in place to avoid kits like the older ones available.

Again, I really appreciate your comments, better get searching now then!