News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Transmission clunk getting worse

Started by 'The Gaffer', 14, August, 2009, 11:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

'The Gaffer'

With the help of Dave H and another engineer, we managed to have a good look at my transmission the other day as it is now becoming very noisey.

It appears there are a few grease nipples missing on the prop universal joints and on the the prop spline join itself. Not good.

The biggest problem though is the nearside driveshaft has enough play to create backlash through the whole system.

I'm not ruling out a diff rebuild either but this shaft has to be sorted asap.

I have booked it into a place where the guy thats taking a look built the transmission on the 007 Aston to run on snow and ice so hopefully should be able to identify the problem with my simple setup.

Heres me taking a look...

Will keep you updated.

Bulldog Bri

Guess it doesn't help dragging that body up the road!!!

Hope you get it sorted soon mate

8)

Richard

Its the white pole sticking out the back, well known clunking problem !

Sounds like a little TLC needed throughout drive train etc.

Bri do you think that is some form of reversing help Phil abused ?

'The Gaffer'

Oi, cut it out you 2!!!

Ok so I didnt see the guy, it was getting dark.

Bulldog Bri

Must admit I've thought about that type of braking system (chucking one of the kids out on a rope to act as an anchor) But not to be used in reverse...

8)

Richard

He had those glasses on again !   It was perfect daylight, he was just trying to look cool  ;D

David H

Phil, dont let em get away with it. its abuse. They obviously cant see your just bench pressing the car with one arm.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: David H on 15, August, 2009, 10:06:26 PM
Phil, dont let em get away with it. its abuse. They obviously cant see your just bench pressing the car with one arm.

Haha yeah, who needs a gym ;D

Bulldog Bri

Hey I know parking tight around there but some people will park anywhere!

8)

Mark G

Mine knocks its ass off too.  I just think its a little play in the diff that sounds worse than it is due to the way its mounted with very little insulation about 3ft away from my head.

Richard

Not sure what to say to that Mark !

You both running the same Diff being bike cars ?

On road cars there is often a "damping" type device to absorb a small degree of flex, I suspect on yours that doesn't exist so you  get full vibration and impact all the time, does it vary by road surface or variable speed ?

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Mark G on 16, August, 2009, 09:06:25 PM
Mine knocks its ass off too.  I just think its a little play in the diff that sounds worse than it is due to the way its mounted with very little insulation about 3ft away from my head.

Perhaps we could compare knocks Mark. I'd be very surprised if yours is louder.

I def have play in the nearside drive shaft which dosent help.

Is your prop and diff mounted on bushes? mine is just bolted to the chassis. Is yours a limited slip diff?

Also as Richard suggests, are you running a cush-drive on the prop?

Catch up soon.