News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Broken Clutch Cable

Started by YellaBelly, 09, December, 2012, 03:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellaBelly

Well, almost made it to the meet in  Queen's Square, until the damn clutch cable broke!!  >:( >:(

Also managed to bugger the day up for Grin-a-lot as he was with me and did the friend-in-need thing (and then some!), went all the way back home to grab a spare cable he had to see if we could fix it. Meanwhile Mr AA on his way and we eventually got it sorted. trouble is, only got as far as Yate, about 5 miles and it went again! Called AA once more and they fixed it again and followed me home to make sure.

So all-in-all a crappy day! :( :( Now need to sort out a better way of fitting the clutch cable if I can get one long enough.

Anyhow,  BIG Thank You to Darren and his wife for hanging around, sorry you never made the meet guys.

fullpint

Great to see fellow members sticking around to help out  8)
I reckon you will carry a spare cable now! I do after mine went 3 miles into my 14 mile trek to work.. I also have break down cover but as you know some times its quicker to do a fix on the side of the road..

Grin-a-lot

No worries, "leave no man behind" I reckon, especially when he's a kitcar driver as well, could happen to any of us I reckon (well most of us anyway)!

Sorry to hear you didn't make it home in one go - was it one of the unions that the AA man used that failed?

YellaBelly

Yep. The second guy was blathering about "must be a very stiff clutch to pull that off blah....blah...blah..."

When I looked at the clamp the first guy put on at the top of the cable, it was held on with 1 grub screw and there should be 2! Shame I didn't spot that when matey was moaning about my clutch!!

Anyway, all home safe and sound now, so just need to sort out either getting another couple of cables to suit and changing the broken quadrant, or look into converting it to hydraulic instead, then no more cable woes :) just leaks to worry about :o

Anyway, thanks again mate, I owe you a beer or two ;)

paintman

Stupott did the same for me when mine went in the Hood.....nice to have friends in the club...... :-*

Bulldog Bri

Sorry I was unable to help John.  :( Pleased you got home Ok though. And its a quick n easy fix with a new part  :)

8)

evolution

Mine was only held with one grub screw. I pushed in the plastic sheath as well as the cable (with a little sanding) so it bit through the plastic and then the wire.  Must be honest - I did it prior to a drive to Ivybridge when I had the soft top made so it was not the best drive -6 c no effing side windows, blue hands and dying for a piss from the Weston junction.  I had no intention of stopping though just in case.  Carried a spare with me after that as it was only a 2 minute job. Proved to be fine even with just the one screw 8)