News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Clutch Pedal Modification

Started by YellaBelly, 30, January, 2013, 02:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellaBelly

Not sure if I've brought this up on here before or not. Because my clutch pedal is the standard Sierra setup as in the piccy below (self-adjuster is cr*p!), and I want to use a cable with the adjuster at the gearbox end (second piccy), I want to try and modify the clutch pedal to take a standard Cortina type cable with threaded adjuster and the eyelet at the pedal end. I am thinking of some form of box section welded to the pedal to accept a bolt to take the eyelet and making it as close to the original cable position as possible to get the right movement.

Piccy 1
[smg id=1242]

Piccy 2
[smg id=1241]

Anyone had any experience at this sort of thing and do you think it will work?

It just makes life so much easier when buying replacement cables :)

Thanks guys ;)

Camber Dave

I would imagine it would be fairly simple to use a tube to anchor the outer cable/adjuster to the pedal box. The pair of nuts will allow adjustment and press on to the end of the tube.

If you bend a 1/2" wide flat strip into a curve to copy the track ( the groove between the teeth) of the Plastic bit of your pedal (7 on pic 1) then on the end bend it 90 deg. Drill a hole and file a slot to grip the nipple. Then weld it into the pedal it the same position as the plastic crescent.  The inner cable will then pull square to the outer part through the pedal travel.

Dave

YellaBelly

Thanks for the idea Dave. I think I may have confused things a bit by not explaining though.

The threaded part of the cable sits in the gearbox casing and the nipple fits into the clutch release arm. The part that fits at the top of the pedal is the part with the eye-type nipple.

But I must admit, what you suggest makes sens and as you say, it will ensure the cable run remains at 90deg to the exit hole so no rubbing.

I have been searching around the web though and found this:

[smg id=1243]

I think with some judicious cutting, use of an old pawl and a bit of welding I should be able to manage something similar :)

(Picture courtesy of Graham Goode Performance)