News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Airbox Fitting **Updated**

Started by Iainl, 09, March, 2013, 07:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iainl

Hi all,

Well I hope to do a track day this year so I thought I better look at getting the car a bit quieter, repacked the exhaust already so been looking at induction noise.

So I decided to get a AB Performance airbox for the Fireblade engine in my kit, I was offered a 2nd hand one from someone on the Locostbuilder forum so all was looking good.  :D

Until today when I decided to fit it, well after about 3 hours this afternoon trying to push the carbs back onto the head it looks like the airbox is not going to fit as it fouls the engine cradle and therefore the airbox will not fit against the head as it's designed to, therfore I'm unable to put the carb rubbers in place to put the carbs back on :'(

I've email AB Performance to see if I can modify the box some how to get it to fit

Any suggestion, has anyone else used one of these airboxes?

Cheers,
Iain

fullpint

Bummer.. Was that the airbox that was up for £200 or so? I nearly went for it cause I have the same issues as you!!
My blade lump is running 118db  :o I did manage to get down to 108db with a freshly packed can but after a few miles the packing material must burn up because its very loud now  ;D
I was thinking about running two cans? Run one along the back end and join it to the side mounted one when on track..

Moleman

Do you know how loud it is?  Not all tracks are as bad as combe.
I know you can get bungs for exhausts which is quick & easy but that is about all I know i'm afraid.  :(
If you do get it running you can get it noise tested when they are doing trackdays to see what it's reading free of charge.
I know they are running a trackday this friday as i'm going to be there. so you could find out then just to see how far out you are?
If you do manage it come say hi & I will even give you a passenger ride around the circuit to show you how good it will be once you got yours sorted.  :D

Iainl

Quote from: fullpint on 09, March, 2013, 09:31:43 PM
Bummer.. Was that the airbox that was up for £200 or so? I nearly went for it cause I have the same issues as you!!
My blade lump is running 118db  :o I did manage to get down to 108db with a freshly packed can but after a few miles the packing material must burn up because its very loud now  ;D
I was thinking about running two cans? Run one along the back end and join it to the side mounted one when on track..

Hi Fullprint
If I can't get this airbox fitted to my Aries you could always give it ago if you have the same engine, as I will have to put it up for sale to pay for an alternative system
Cheers
Iain

Iainl

Well after talking to Andy Bates (AB Performance) last week I decided to take his advise and cut the airbox where it fowls against the engine cradle (he did say they do it all the time on Westfields for a similar issue) and yipeeeee  :D got the airbox to fit flush and the trumpets of the carbs sits nicley against the inner part of the airbox.

Next step was to re fit the bonnet, well this took most of the afternoon triming a little bit at a time as the hole I had to cut was huge  :o

Next job is to fibreglass the hole up insdie the airbox using the engine cradle as the mould for the fibreglass, well thats next weeks job sorted.

After that I need to see if I can get a bonnet bulge to cover the airbox

Its going to have to be a big bulge  :o

The only bad thing talking to AB Performance was I ended up buying a paddleshift!  :D

fullpint

Nothing like having a 'Big Bulge' on your bonnet  ;D ;D ;D.. Thats what is putting me off from fitting a standard blade box. Airbox £20 then 4+hours and a load more cash to finally fit it!! Think I may stick with my loud foam one for a bit longer  ;)

Iainl

Quote from: fullpint on 07, April, 2013, 07:25:26 AM
Nothing like having a 'Big Bulge' on your bonnet  ;D ;D ;D.. Thats what is putting me off from fitting a standard blade box. Airbox £20 then 4+hours and a load more cash to finally fit it!! Think I may stick with my loud foam one for a bit longer  ;)

Fullpint
I have a Fireblade airbox if you want to try one to see how it fits?
Cheers
Iain

fullpint

Iain that would be good. Will give me a little project to work on. How much?

Iainl

Quote from: fullpint on 07, April, 2013, 01:33:49 PM
Iain that would be good. Will give me a little project to work on. How much?

PM sent