+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Damn Brakes.....AGAIN!!

Started by YellaBelly, 09, April, 2013, 09:27:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellaBelly

Well, here I was thinking all sorted now, car taxed, brakes sorted (see previous thread on fitting new Fiat MC) - so much for that idea! :(

took the car out for a shakedown run at the weekend, got 1/2 mile before I had to come back with the F/L brakes stuck on!!

Pedal was almost rock solid too, so I cracked the bleed nipple on that caliper and the wheel freed right off and pedal returned to normal. My first thought was the extensions I had made to raise the original Sierra reservoir off the new MC were partially blocking off the fluid holes in the MC and stopping the fluid returning, but after posting the issue on the Locostbuilders forum most of the guys reckon it is the pushrod which is too long and stopping the pistons returning all the way to rest and causing a fluid lock.

The diagram below shows what I mean about the modification.

[smg id=1259]

I am hoping it is only the pushrod which should be an easy fix, but if not, then I will have to try and get another remote reservoir small enough to fit under the bonnet but high enough to give the required gravity feed of fluid to the MC. (The one I bought is too tall, hence the modification to use the Sierra one).

I need to get this sorted before all the meets have come and gone! :(

Any ideas welcomed guys...PLEEEEEASE!  :'(

JB

Sumov8

If the brake pedal is returning to its normal position after applying the brakes the push rod should also be returning to its normal position.

If this binding has not been the norm i.e the Brakes have worked at some stage, I have had a flexible hose perish internally and act as a one way valve
it would let me drive the car from cold but as I used the brakes the pedal became harder and the brakes would bind, until they got so hot they would lock up, I would either have to wait a few hours for the pressure in the pipe to reduce or open the bleed nipple.

I changed the hose and when I cut them open the internal rubber has seperated in layers, acting as a "One way valve"
hence the binding on the one side.

Worth a look if your hoses have been on the car a while and used to work ;)

YellaBelly

The brakes were working fine when I had the Sierra MC and reservoir on it, it's only since I fitted the Fiat one that I have had issues. Like I said, the pedal gets higher as the problem gets worse. So I'm assuming it's something to do with either my first theory or the pushrod.

I'm still uner the weather with this damn bug at the moment but will have to investigate when I'm firing on all 4 again.

Hairy Santa

can you refit the original M/cylinder to illiminate  everything else or is it totalled