News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Aries Locoblade Noise

Started by Iainl, 27, May, 2013, 12:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iainl

Thought I would check how load the car is, as I was planning on doing a track day soon.

So borrowed a meter from work just reved the car up to 7500 rpm and the meter showed 115db  :o

How can I get the noise down as my local tracks all have a limit of 100db?   :-[

The car is fitted with a 919 Fireblade engine, a standard Aires supplied exhaust and a AB airbox, I have already repacked the exhaust.

Do I need a new exhaust? If so could someone recommend me a supplier

Cheers,
Iain

fullpint

:D :D :D :D :D Join the club mate. My 919 MK is 118db  :o :o :o
Limit for a bike engine on most tracks is 105db.
Are you running a Blade airbox? Have you re-packed your exhaust?

Iainl

Quote from: fullpint on 27, May, 2013, 01:17:51 PM
:D :D :D :D :D Join the club mate. My 919 MK is 118db  :o :o :o
Limit for a bike engine on most tracks is 105db.
Are you running a Blade airbox? Have you re-packed your exhaust?

Airbox is an AB Performance one and yes I repacked the exhaust last year

fullpint

Last year!! Ive done mine twice in less than a year..
I think we both need a 6"diameter can and atleast 24" long..
People keep on telling me to do Llandow.. Noise is not meant to be an issue there...

Moleman

I know you can buy bungs to go on the end of your exhaust to reduce the noise. Grin-alot had to use one on his last trackday so he might know more about them?

YZFMINI

The only way to get a bec on track and under the 100db is to move the exhaust out let to the rear of the car. Thats what me and pete did to the dax. It was at about 108db but just moving it to the back it went down to about 96db.
Before we tried this pete even made a new scilencer it was like a rocket on the side of the car and it made no difference. You just neet to get the sound tester further away from the engine, as thats the noise being picked up. Why do they allow 105db on a bike day, because the tester is so close to the engine, which is about the  same distance as it is on a bec even with a bigger scilencer.
Admittedly it may not be easy depending on the car, but were able to do it on the dax..
My mini completly different I know but has the engine at the front and exhust at rear but the body deflects some of the engine sound, so I get about 95db, iv tested the sound at the front and got a reading of about 106db..
Food for thought fellow becs..

Iainl

Just been to Castle Combe & had my noise level checked using the correct meter my noise is only 103dba

The chap who tested it gave me some great advise & it maybe the way I repacked the exhaust, so brought some more exhaust packing from Merlin Motorsport while I was there & this weekend I'll be repacking the exhaust and keeping my fingers crossed for a quieter car.

Cheers
Iain

fullpint

Take some pics and let us know what your using. I see a trip to Merlin for me  ;D

Iainl

Well just a quick update, returned to Castle Combe today to get the noise checked again after repacking the exhaust and this time the noise has dropped to 101dba so we are slowly getting there  ;D

So may think about booking Castle Combe up for my first track day soon

Cheers
Iain

fullpint

8) Below the limit then Iain.. Well done..

Hairy Santa

As Colin said in a earlier post most of the noise is coming from the engine and not the exhaust as we found on the Dax

I made a 8 inch stainless can with 2 x 2" perforated internal tubes and packed it well, made very little difference, then made pipework to route to the rear of the car, over 5DB difference ( down to 99DB) -  the tester now stood at the back of the car therefore losing  most of the engine noise, give it a try, recon you will crack it this way 

Moleman

Hope you get it sorted soon.  :D   
If you do then  a few of us are doing Combe on the 26th july with Apex if your interested? 36 cars on a open pitlane all day which is good for combe.  8)

If you are then you can even get a discount with complete kit car magazine.  :)

'The Gaffer'

As been mentioned, bec's are notoriously hard to get through sound checks. I had 2 internal silencers on my Toniq but still had to buy an additional muffler from Merlin to pass at Combe. Others are right in that the engine itself makes a lot of noise plus body panels can vibrate so I really like the idea of taking exhaust to the rear of the car... If that's possible in your case?

Iainl

Hope this sorts my noise issue out, swapping my 5inch box to a 6inch one just need to sort out a mounting bracket and off we go.

'The Gaffer'

Hope it works out :-\ its a tough one.

Hairy Santa

Hope it works but still think you will have to go out the back to get rid of some of the engine noise, ------ fingers crossed for you  :)

fullpint

I reckon you need a good 8 inches mate  :(

Iainl

Quote from: fullpint on 18, July, 2013, 06:33:58 PM

Hope not as the 6 inch only just fits, the 5 inch got the noise down to 101dba so I'm really hopeful

fullpint

8) You may be just ok then mate, if so I will have to copy you  ;D

Hairy Santa

Quote from: fullpint on 18, July, 2013, 06:33:58 PM

Don't we all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WALNUT

Im not cutting any of mine...................lol

Iainl

Another update

Fitted the 6 inch diameter exhaust box i got last week from Aries and returned to Castle Combe this morning to get the noise retested and this time it was between 97/98 dba  :D :D

Now need to book a track day while it still dry

Cheers
Iain

fullpint

8) awesome news mate. I must take a closer look at your set up..

Hairy Santa

well done that man, wish mine was so easy - have fun  ;)

Moleman

Glad you got it sorted.  :) It's a shame you didn't take a look around while you was there as Me & Robp was there on a trackday.  :)

Iainl

Quote from: Moleman on 26, July, 2013, 07:46:40 PM
Glad you got it sorted.  :) It's a shame you didn't take a look around while you was there as Me & Robp was there on a trackday.  :)

I did have a quick look around but got talking to another Locoblade owner, where abouts were you parked, I bet I did see you but didn't recognise you

Moleman

This was Rob next to his orange westy, Chatting to me with the red hat. the Red blade was Nigel's who is also in our club.
I was there with 2 other guys with their track cars. (black Peugeot, green citroen). I was just the surport van today.  :)

Iainl

I was there talking to the Nigel about the Stuart Taylor around 11:30'ish

'The Gaffer'

Well done. Just need to keep an eye on that packing now.

Moleman

I think I was on the pit wall around 11.30.  ::)