+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

My transmission needs a rebuild

Started by 'The Gaffer', 26, August, 2009, 02:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'The Gaffer'

As some of you know and have physically heard, my transmission needs a rebuild. I'm droping the car off this Thursday to have the prop cut and new heavy duty spline fitted, new UJ's all round, and a balance. Also having drive shafts rebuilt.

There is a lot of backlash in the transmission but this work should cure it. Just hopeing the diff will be ok.

Heres a quick vid so you can hear the clunking around the start. Not very good as from a camera phone and a bit shakey.

http://share.ovi.com/album/GandToniq.GToniqsalbum

Video visable now. The first clunk you hear is not a door slamming shut, thats me putting the car into gear :o

Mark G

Phil,  Give Andy a call at AB Performance as he's talked me through the problems with using a solid prop on these engines and if I was to do anything prop related at this point it'd be getting a torque resiliant prob rather than going heavy duty. 

Also on the video it sounds like you're using the clutch for the upshift.  You shouldn't use the clutch as it takes the load off the gears and wears the dogs out on the gears faster as they bounce around more when engaging.  I only use the clutch to pull away and a little touch on downshifts.

'The Gaffer'

Hi Mark.

Thanks for that, I will give him a call. He actually rebuilt this engine before I bought the car.

I do have a device on the car that kills ignition on upshifts but was told only advisable to do cluthless at full throttle??

Yes I was using clutch in vid but was nowhere near full throttle.

Did AB advise you that ok to do clutchless at any speed?

How long before you are back on the road?

Mark G

I go clutchless pretty much all the time if I can get away with it.  I don't want to go giving out duff information so it'd probably be best to confirm with andy on the best shifting technique for using a trick shifter.

'The Gaffer'

Cheers will ring him.

Car is in having transmission sorted, too late to talk about fitting a torque resiliant prop but given the punishment my car has had I think it has all lasted well.

As its only me that will be thrashing it from now on, I'm sure the work will be worth it.

The guy that is doing the work actually designed and built the transmission for the Aston Martin on ice in the 007 movie so I'm pretty confident all should be fine.