News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Head Skimming in Bristol?

Started by Lucky Ed, 18, June, 2013, 11:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky Ed

Does anybody know where I can get my head skimmed locally. Need somebody whose quick, cheap and happy to take a chance on the repair not working.

The cooling problem I had at Donington has turned out to be a blown head gasket/head damage sustained by stray nut last year at the same circuit.
The head and the piston crown are pitted, so I'm hoping a head skim might make it last a little bit longer, the last lash up has lasted for five hard track days
which isn't too bad.

It's not worth spending any more money on it as you can pick up a new Black Top for £750 - and that sort of money won't go far if I start buying engine parts.

Hope to get sorted for Llandow ;D

Moleman

Oh crap.  :(     Sorry to hear this mate. I will ask some guys I know who are mechanic's.

Moleman

'The Gaffer'

Hope you get it sorted mate. Amazing it's lasted so long with a loose nut flying around inside :o

Lucky Ed

Thanks guys, but I have already dropped the head of at Bowden Engineering in Patchway, and picking it up in the morning.

Seemed like really nice guys - I'll keep you posted on how I get on.

Gaffer - the nut was removed last year - or what was left of it, hopefully skimming the head will do the trick and be able to get to Llandow OK 8)

Krazyken

Lucky

A track day at Llandow just wouldn't be the same for you without some sort of catastrophe!!!  At least we know who to blame for the red flags before the event starts.

Krazyken

P.S. the loose nut Gaffer was referring to was the one behind the wheel.  :P :P :P

Lucky Ed

Quote from: Krazyken on 20, June, 2013, 07:51:55 PM
Lucky

A track day at Llandow just wouldn't be the same for you without some sort of catastrophe!!!  At least we know who to blame for the red flags before the event starts.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Ken - I will do my best to entertain :o :o :o 8)

robp

Hi Ed,

What is the progress with the engine rebuild?  Car going to be ready for the weekend?

Bulldog Bri

Lucky Ed

Quote from: robp on 25, June, 2013, 09:12:16 AM
Hi Ed,

What is the progress with the engine rebuild?  Car going to be ready for the weekend?

The Zetec is still a bit sick. The head has been skimmed and was put back together with an 'upgraded' MLS gasket which didn't work at all as water leaked out of it.

Yesterday I replaced it with a standard one which seems to have cured the leaks and the pressurized cooling system, only to have developed a nasty backfire and rough running.
Going to re-time the cams tonight to see if that cures it, so it's still in the balance for Sat.

I know the engine is on its last legs, but I'm trying to get at least one more day out of it, so things might get messy at Llandow :o :o :o

I've already spoken to Raceline in the view of getting a new Blacktop, which seems a better and cheaper option than repairing what I've got as it will always be an old lump whatever I do.

'The Gaffer'

robp

Quote from: Bulldog Bri on 25, June, 2013, 10:18:29 AM
There's always this way.  :o

8)

Great video, but I'd be knackered after dragging that cylinder head back and forth across the dining room table for half an hour!

Krazyken

Lucky

You have to make it somehow.  The tale of a BKCC Llandow Track day without one of your disasters just will not be the same!

Moleman

Hope it will do llandow one last time mate?  :)

Lucky Ed

ZETEC LIVES AGAIN - JUST. Having fitted two head gaskets this week and now had the hydraulic lifters out, I appear to have cured most of the leaks and eliminated the worst of the backfire.

I've still got loads of crankcase pressure and water vapour on the breather pipes, but it still goes OK which is incredible seeing as it spent a lot of an afternoon at Donington with bugger all water in it :o

So off to Llandow we go - what's the worst that can happen - probably a loud bang and a big pool of oil ;D ;D ;D

'The Gaffer'

Well done Ed, just remind me not to get behind you ;)

Moleman

nice one.  :)
I think the Gaffer is right though, I hope I'm not the one behind you when it goes? I've already ploughed the field's at combe this year for that same reason.  :P ;D

Krazyken

Lucky lives to fight another disaster! :o

Glad you are able to make it, I guess a new Blacktop from GBS is on the shopping list. :'(

Lucky Ed

You guessed right Ken - but have already done a deal with Raceline, who are doing a job lot including a Billy Wizz sump,
idler pulley for the water pump and a host of other bits so it should drop straight in 8)

So I'm hoping the Silvertop has a monumental failure so I don't fell so bad about spending the money ;D

Hairy Santa

Lucky Ed

Quote from: Hairy Santa on 28, June, 2013, 09:20:48 PM
stick a busa lump in it

The thought did cross my mind Pete, but if I can wreck a Zetec what would I do to a Busa - then there's the noise problem :o