News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Brake light switch!!

Started by fullpint, 10, July, 2013, 05:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fullpint

My MK being so light you tend NOT to warn others that you are braking. My lights will only come on if you stamp on the brake  :(
I think some sort of thingy on top of the fluid cap so I presume its some type of switch that works when the fluid is under pressure!!
Any input would be a great help since yesterday someone very nearly went into the back of me when I turned left  >:(

Moleman

There is a pressure switch connected to the fluid. They are quite cheap. I had to replace mine not so long ago. Mine was just two wires on a spade connector then you unscrew the pressure switch which is like a T connection on the brake line near the brake fliud bottle. If you are quick you can unsrew it & screw the new one on without having to bleed the brakes afterwards.  :)

benchmark51

The 'thingy' on the filler cap is to warn of low fluid level. I always favor an electrical swich on the brake pedal, easily replaced and/or adjusted.
In days long ago when I was naughty I had a toggle switch I used to trick other boy racers into thinking I was braking while I was standing on the loud pedal.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: benchmark51 on 10, July, 2013, 09:46:32 PM
In days long ago when I was naughty I had a toggle switch I used to trick other boy racers into thinking I was braking while I was standing on the loud pedal.

Haha crafty, you could also fool them you were hammering around corners without braking ;D

fullpint

I will look to see what switch i have. So that thing on the cap is only to warn about fluid level..
Will try to locate the pressure switch that Colin mentioned..

fullpint

The only form of wire I can find relating to the brake system is this thing on top on the fluid pot?
Does this combine as a switch and level sensor?

benchmark51

No, that is just for fluid level. If you look at the pivot bar that goes through your brake pedal, I expect you will see a switch on the bracket. Switches when you press the brake pedal and has 2 wires. It may have fallen off(been known) or just broken. On the sierra the switch pushes in to the aperture in the pedal bracket and twist clockwise to lock it in position. I dont know what pedal set up you have so it's a guess!

fullpint

Ok will go have a look down by the pedal..

fullpint

:( Cant see any other wires!!

benchmark51

No, can't see a switch either. The middle pedal has a height adjuster? If no mechanically operated switch, you must have a hydraulic switch. Will be connected to your brake system somewhere, either at a union direct on your brake pipe or like mine, at the master cylinder. See pic, the lower right wires. the ones on the cap for fluid level. (The others are just tucked up out the way for work)

Moleman

This is my pressure switch which is connected to the brake line only. Mine is under the fluid bottle but it could be anywhere along the brake pipes I gess?
As you can see it's just the 2 wires, then undo the one nut. Hpoe this helps mate.  :)

fullpint

Cheers guys. Best i get the car up on  axle stands and hunt down
a switch  :(

Moleman

Normally I would say bring it around my house & you could drive it on my trailor/working platform as it so easy to work under the car when it's on there, But It's taken at the mo.  ::)

YellaBelly

I was going to try and pop over with those bits next week Steve, if you still haven't sorted it I can have a look for you :D

fullpint

Will see what I can sort over the weekend.. Its bugging me now. Not just that my lights only come on when you stamp on the brake but the fact I can't find the switch  :(
Must have one somewhere.....
JB; Let me know the day before you intend popping over and I will make sure I take the Mk in..

fullpint

8) Found the bloody thing.. Car up on stands by 630. Took half an hour to locate. Was tucked away just down the tunnel. A pain to get off tho!! 22mm socket would not go over the head due to being located right up against the bulkhead  :(. Still got it off and will pop down to APD on Bumpers Farm to see if they have a new one. Not sure what model its off so hopefully the guys will be helpful...
Fingers crossed I wont need to bleed the system. Current have a bolt in the hole.. :P

benchmark51

Well done that man!

To be honest, if it wasn't leaking or anything I would have left it there and fitted one in
a more freindly position. Just extended the wires to it. May be more responsive nearer the master cylinder.
When you have fitted it, if you pump up your brake pedal and put a bar or wood between your pedal and seat or chassis, to keep the brakes on, it will bleed itself. Leave it this way for as long as possible, at least a few hours or even overnight.

fullpint

;D Well sort of..
The chaps at APD Ltd in Chippenham were very helpful. After looking at all the Ford options it turns out to be from a pre 1976 Mini.. Downside is the part is in the Sheffield branch and wont be in till Tuesday!! Cost just over £10 but due to the effort they put in I thought I would pay for it. Just seen them on EBay for $6 free postage and delivery by Tues :(
Still never mind. At least I know for next time.

fullpint

Heres where it is!!

Before I re-fit the new I'm going to put a nice fat large diameter 6mm washer behind the elbow just to spacer it out a tad to enable the 22mm socket to be used.

Hairy Santa

recon you should powder coat it before you fit it, just my thoughts  :D

fullpint

Quote from: Hairy Santa on 13, July, 2013, 01:15:51 PM
recon you should powder coat it before you fit it, just my thoughts  :D
What colour (colours) tho  :D :D :D :D

fullpint

8) New switch came in today. All fitted and the lights now come on with out having to stamp on the brakes.
Hopefully cars behind will now know that I'm braking  ;)

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: fullpint on 16, July, 2013, 05:29:34 PM
8) New switch came in today. All fitted and the lights now come on with out having to stamp on the brakes.
Hopefully cars behind will now know that I'm braking  ;)

Sorted, I had the same problem once, quite scary.

YellaBelly

Oh the joys of kit cars!! :D Glad it's sorted chap :)

Moleman