News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

help needed identifying paint colour!

Started by davecymru, 26, August, 2013, 07:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davecymru

Help!

After nearly a year of recommissioning and making my Countach kit mechanically sound I want to address some of the bigger scratches and marks in the paint before I start actively taking her out-n-about, as I'm a bit self-conscious!

But.... I can't get any touch up paint as I don't have a paint code and "Its a red one" is a bit generic even for Halfrauds!

So I need help identifying the exact paint code/shade and any advice or guidance would be massively appreciated!

I've heard rumour of a gun/laser that can scan the paint and get the code, but I can't find anywhere local (Bristol/Somerset) that does it.

Help.......

DaveM

paintman

Hi Dave.

My son has a paint shop and he sprays exotics like the Countach regularly, i'll give him a call for you and see what he suggests. ;)

Tony

davecymru

benchmark51

I had paint mixed at carpaint ware house in Brislington. Unfortunatly the label came off the tin and (2 weeks later)I took it back and asked them to make some more of the same colour. No chance, they just couldn't be bothered, I got paint but totally different. So if anyone knows of someone who can match it, I'd like to know please.(Octocoat 2 pack)

sweetshackdad

Most car paint suppliers that I know have colour cards that they will match to your car. Take the car or a panel along and I'm sure they will be able to match.

paintman

Phoned Gav at Reef Paintshop and he told me you should take the car or petrol flap etc. to your local paint supplier and they should be able to
match it with colour chips rather than the number of Lambo Red which will have colour variants anyway, they should be able to supply it in
a spray can for youor maybe a touch-up.

Hope this helps, Tony

garry h

Hi Dave not sure if this will help.I use alot of building paint supliers and most of them have what they call a magic eye,might be worth taking in a
piece of your car,petrol cap etc and see if they can help.

Regards Garry.

bluehornetrider

I use paint chip cards and can usually match into red really nicely, any Chipsaway franchisee should be able to do the same.  Solid colours do limit the chances just cause the aren't as popular at the moment.  Fiat, Toyota and VW are probably the best to select from.   

davecymru

Hummmmm, now that may be the way to do it.  Get chips away in to do one or two chips (depending on price!) And ad a byproduct I end up with the paint code. And some of the chips sorted.

davecymru

Update...... I was in Bridgwater the other day and by complete chance as i drove through the industrial estate I spotted a unit that claimed to do automotive paints etc. called Hickleys Autostore.

So i popped in and asked if they could match paint and they said they could either by card comparison or by scanning a panel, but as there is only 1 person working on Saturdays they couldn't do it until Monday but i was free to drop in a bit of the car to match up!

So i went and grabbed one of my airboxes and dropped it in and I've just had a call advising me that my Countach is painted in.... Triumph motorcycle red  (who'd a thunk it!) and that they've made up the spray cans i asked for and they are ready for me to collect!!  whoo hoo!!

So fingers crossed for the match!

paintman

Should be a good match, if not they will do it again for you if they matched it. ::) ;)

'The Gaffer'