+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Clutch Judder

Started by Bulldog Bri, 11, September, 2013, 12:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog Bri

Ok, What causes Clutch Judder? and is there a simple way to cure it?

Most of the time when I pull away I get a terrible shake through the whole car, not every time but more often than not >:( whether I lift the clutch slowly or quickly doesn't seem to make much difference.

Any sensible suggestions.  ::)

8) 

davecymru

Scary timing as i've been getting this recently as well.

From what i've read so far it is likely to be :

• clutch plate contamination,
  • clutch plate is knackered
  • problems engaging/disengaging clutch

But you can't tell for sure unless you take it out and have a look.
I'm putting off doing that atm as i haven't got the time, but i expect to have to do it in the next month or so :(

Best of luck getting yours sorted!

fullpint

When was the last time you had the clutch out?
Could be caused by the clutch components and flywheel not meeting concentrically. The friction surfaces rub concentrically causing a low frequency vibration that is transmitted..
Guess its a case of off with the bell housing and have a little looksy  :(

paintman

Broken spring on the pressure plate or oil or grease on the clutch plate I would say Bri.  ::)  :(

Hairy Santa

could be contamination on the driven plate, springs loose, springs broken or plates cracked

could also be pressure plate scored, not releasing evenly or fingers worn unevenly, if the plate is scored then there is a fair chance the flywheel will have scoring also

you ain't gonna know till you strip it

you could try the old trick of filling the bell housing with fire extinguisher "dusty one", some times helps if it's oil problems   

YellaBelly

If it's oil contamination, sometimes it can be burnt off by slipping the clutch in low gear/high revs going uphill. Stinks a bit but has been known to work. If not oil then I agree about the springs possibly suspect, the coil springs in the centre of the plate, not the pressure plate springs.

Let us all know what you find chap.

Bulldog Bri

Thanks for all the advice. Not seen the clutch since I swapped for the overdrive box last year. It is still the orginal plate from when I got the car and I have shall we say done a few quick off the line starts since having the car so a nackered spring wouldn't surprise me. ::)

Not going to be able to check it over for a few weeks. Off to York this weekend so better take it careful  ;D

8)