+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Finally found the fault

Started by YellaBelly, 20, December, 2013, 11:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellaBelly

After scratching my head for ages and giving up on the Discovery (see http://bristolkitcarclub.co.uk/smf2/index.php?topic=2284.15), I finally got the spare time to get under it and investigate more. What I found unfortunately confirmed my suspicions:

The 2 pieces should be one!! The inner connects to the crank and the outer to the ring gear and torque converter in the auto gearbox. It's a relatively common fault in the 300TDi apparently. Certainly explains the loud clatteing a couple of days before the starter spun but not the engine.
New one on order (£90 so not as bad as it would have been if the issue had been a broken crank!!

Just a physical nightmare now getting back under the truck to heave mucho weight around to get it all back together again. Good shoulder workout though :D

'The Gaffer'

Money aside, its just great to identify a problem.

fullpint

At least it was only two pieces mate unlike Colins problem with his old engine.....

YellaBelly

Good point Steve! :D

And yes Phil, it is good to at least find the fault. After so long wondering what it could be it was good to pinpoint the problem, and it could have been a heck of a lot more expensive. This is also one of those jobs where DIY definitely pays, bruises and all, to get it done in the garage normally costs upwards of £500!

Moleman

Glad you got it all worked out mate. If you ever need a spare piston I have three I dont use anymore?  :P

YellaBelly

Thanks for the offer Colin, but I've got a Blacktop with 7 good pistons and one foobarred (not sure but I think it's the conrod, haven't stripped it to find out)

If I ever get around to it I will be gathering the bits up and selling the engine and spare bottom end :)

robp

YellaBelly