+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Dry cell advice

Started by Dibbler, 15, March, 2014, 05:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dibbler

As well as the kit car project that I haven't started, I also have a Capri project that I haven't started.

It now looks like the Capri is going to be done first (I wont bore you with the reasons, but there are several).

The Capri is a 1.6 Pinto, which may become a hot 2.0 Duratec later.

I only want to buy one battery so it has to be good for both engine types

Even though the project is just about to start I want to check what works before the strip down, so figure a dry cell which wont die from lack of use could be bought now, get used during the rebuild & then into its roadworthy life.

So, has anyone had any experience of dry cell batteries for their pride & joy? Are there good & bad makes, do they die after a short life in some circumstances, etc?

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated, I have never used one so no very little about them other than I should be able to leave the battery for months & still be able to start the car.

'The Gaffer'

There are two types of dry cell battery, both are fully encased non-spillable which contains a gel or absorbent glass mat (AGM) They can be fitted in almost any orientation unlike wet acid batteries.

One of the most popular dry cells are from a company called Odyssey. Lots of serious sports and kit owners use them because they are lighter and have a little more cranking power, they also hold charge longer and perform better in the cold. They do come at a price though.

If you dont really need a dry cell, then a good conditioning charger is an option, it will keep your battery, whatever type, fully maintained and charged automatically when not in use.

paintman

I would get a decent battery and plug it into a battery trickle charger like Phil said......no hassle and always charged!! ;)

benchmark51

How about one of those solar chargers. Will very slowly charge batteries used in boats and campers at no cost. Jessops do them and I believe they are quite cheap. Worth a look?

garry h

I use an Oxford trickle charger on both car and bikes,never had any problems with them and always have a charged battery. :)

Dibbler

I own an optimate for the bikes, but i expect to be riding it in a week so dont put it on charge... then after forgetting about it & it sitting unused for 6 months, have a deceased battery... again.

Part of the problem is I own 7 cars & 5 bikes, but only have 1 Optimate & 1 proper HD charger.

I thought this could be a smarter solution. My dad has them on his old classic bikes & they wil hold a charge for 2 or 3 years, but they are 6 volt & as they are kick start, they have tiny batteries (he did no research & has no idea what type they are).

I have seen some online for around £350 (that made my eyes water), but looks like good old lead acid is the way to go, maybe with a solar panel on the dash (good idea). I would have to replace quite a few before I've spent £350.

benchmark51