AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

fitting wet weather gear and wiring for lights . help please !

Started by frank-robin-hood-b2, 31, March, 2014, 08:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank-robin-hood-b2

hi,
I'm new here and have only owned my robin hood for 2 weeks . when I purchased the vehicle the previous owner had lost the build manual (that had the wiring diagram in), and he has set the side lights to be on at all times . Does anyone have a wiring diagram I could use to change the lights to come on when the switch is used . (the robin hood has the sierra wiring ,engine ect ).
also I have just purchased the wet weather gear for the car but no fitment instructions were included . Any chance someone who has fitted the kit can give me some info ? , also I have noticed that most of the pictures with the wet weather gear on, show it's fastened to the car by poppers, but none came with my kit . any ideas where I can buy the correct poppers from ?
many thanks
Frank  :)

paintman

Hi Frank and welcome.

Firstly, welcome to the club and forum your sure to get lots of help here from like minded people and petrol-heads.

From my forum picture you can guess I have a Robin Hood and will give you as much help as I can.

Where are you based with the car..... anywhere local to me? ....... You can pop over and get some ideas from mine if you like.

We have members all over England, plus a few as far away as Australia which are active on the forum.

The lights shouldn't be to tricky to change back....doubt they were intentionally wired to stay on, more than lightly there is a fault in the stalk preventing them working properly.

The poppers are no problem.....got mine off Ebay, you can get black or chrome ones.

Note though.....you will need some twist fasteners as well as the poppers to fit at the ends of the windscreen and at the door edges or you will loose the hood at speed!! :o

PM me if you want to meet up or need any more help.

Tony

Iancider

Hi Frank,

Welcome to the club and welcome to your new lifestyle!  I hope you find us friendly helpful bunch and we look forward to seeing you at meets and maybe Stoneleigh perhaps?

I am not a Hood owner so I cannot give you specific information but some of our members might be able to quote directly from the manual but wiring looms are pretty well conforming to a British Standard if they come from a British manuafacturers car.

Sidelights would be typically Red/orange stripe
Headlamp supply would be Lt Blue
Headlamp Full Beam would be Blue Pink
Headlamp Dip Beam would be Blue White
Any connection to ground or negative will be a Black wire and the chassis of the car will be the negative connection for everything including the battery

If the lights come-on as soon as the ignition is switched to the second position (Ignition on) then the former owner would have connected to the ignition live wire which would normally be a Dark Green.  So a Dark Green conection has been used instead of a Red or Red/Orange.

It is likely he will have had to uprated the fuse on that circuit as well to something like 20Amps instead of the normal 10-15 Amps.

There is no guarantee with any kit car that the wiring is standard or that if follows the British standard but if you have a donor loom it is likely to be fairly conventional.

Start by pulling you dash forward and taking a look behind the light switch and look for the Red/Orange.  If you find a Dark Green supply just swap to a Red/Orange and you should then have sidelights that operate on light switch and not the ignition.  If this goes nowhere or you get stuck, post again and I will see what else I can do or whether somebody else can help.  Also what model of Hood have you bought - there have been several generations.

Hood fastenings see this link http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/press-stud-kit-bright-plated - the trade name is miracle dot fasterners.  Have a look around in CBS and you will find many other fasteners too.

Good luck
Ian

garry h

Hi Frank and welcome to the club  as you can see from the above replies youve come to the right place for lots of helpful and friendly advice good luck with your build  :)

Moleman

Bulldog Bri

'The Gaffer'

Hi Frank and a warm welcome to our club. I'm sure you will get your car sorted :)

frank-robin-hood-b2

hi to all  and a big THANK YOU ! for all your help .
i intend to have a good look at the wiring tomorrow and get some poppers (and ties ) for the roof . the model of the hood is: robin hood b2 reg 2014 .Ii can't wait to come to one of the meets and check out everyone's cars !.
thanks to all again ! ;D

paintman