News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Cycle Wings.

Started by Moleman, 01, June, 2014, 08:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moleman

Apart from hitting cones on track days I do suffer from my cycle wings getting stress cracking from where it is bolted on the brackets.
So I have now brought another pair & thought I would try to modify them to see if it makes any difference.

So first I rubbed down & keyed up the new ones.

Then cut the cloth for fiberglassing.

Then I applied 2 layers all the way down & another 2 where the bracket will be. This did seem to stiffen them up a lot more than before.

Then I covered the brackets with plastic & put a special sealant which sticks really well & also drys to a tough rubber that can withstand high & low temperatures & I only wanted it to stick to the cycle wings.

I then placed the wings on top, taping them into position & left for the sealant to set so the gap between where the bracket is flat & the cycle wings are curved will be filled will hard rubber so when I bolt them they won't be putting any stress on the plastic to begin with.

Once it was set I took them off cleaned them up a bit then placed them back on to drill up through them to bolt them up. Only just tight enough for the bolts to just grip the wings against the bracket & hardened rubber filling piece.

I set them back a bit further for 2 reasons. 1= the last pair got warn down at the front from the wind pushing the cycle wings onto the tyres & 2 = I will get less spray from the rain flying into the car.  :)

So lets see if this works. Apart from hittng anything of course.

Bulldog Bri

They did look good. Will be interesting to see how long they last even against the cones ;D

8)

Lucky Ed

Pilgrim Anna

Good job Colin! They look great. hope they withstand your trackdays :P

Moleman

Thanks everyone. I'm hoping they will Anna.  :D

Iancider

Good job.

I've had similar problems but had not seen the mis-match between the straight bracket and the curve in the wing.  This looks like a good solution.  I haven't had the problem with wear on the front edge of the wing due to wind but perhaps I have not been driving fast enough!

Krazyken

Colin,as always you have done a cracking job there.

Are you going to donate your old ones to a museum?  Molemans old cycle wings would be quite a collection!

Moleman

I will be taking them as spare for track days in case those cones jump out on me again.  ;D

Bulldog Bri

Quote from: Krazyken on 05, June, 2014, 05:24:09 PM
Colin,as always you have done a cracking job there.

Are you going to donate your old ones to a museum?  Molemans old cycle wings would be quite a collection!
I can just see them now, neatly hung up on the garage wall with a video still of how each one came to a cracking end ;D

8)

Moleman

That's a good idea Bri. I can put them with the 3 pistons I have left from the last engine.  ;D