News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Engine Transplant Costs

Started by CrisisWolf, 10, August, 2014, 04:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrisisWolf

Anyone know garages in bristol or local area who can carry out engine transplants? Looking at Duratec crate engines to replace my Zetec in a Westfield. Engine is about £2k and good for around 200hp. Not sure what it might cost to fit.

If I went down the TB and ECU route on my Zetec I'll get about 180hp but it will cost £4k all in fitted. So thought this might be a worth while alternative (plus I can sell the Zetec and parts)

SPAXIMUS

It all depends on what you are running at the moment in the Westfield. If it is an MT 75 box, you will need a type nine box and a bellhousing. A sump and then you will need exhaust and injection set up, if it is already on the car then you will need inlet manifold and ECU. I would say you will spend another £2k on bits plus labour to do the job. Another £500 rolling road

Interpro would do the work but at £65 per hour IIRC it will soon add up to a lot.

Unless you have a big emotional attachment to the car my advice would be to sell it and then buy a Duratec car with all the bits. It is surprising how the cost runs away when doing something like this.

The other option is to spend the money on having someone like Anderson racing do the engine you have in at present. I have two mates who have Zetec engined Westfields which have over 250bhp. You can get 200 easy from a Zetec with cams porting throttle boddies.

CrisisWolf

I've got an 1800 Zetec pretty standard. Can't remember the gearbox off hand. I had similar thoughts on what isn't included as part of the crate engine and ECU popped into my mind.

Is that Interpro Bristol (Thornbury?) and Anderson Racing Timsbury? Do they both do transplants and/or Cams/TBS/ECU tuning? I've had one quote for OMEX ECU and TBs with Cams from Northampton Motorsport and it was close to £4k fully fitted with all the parts which will take me to 'about' 180-185HP. Hence was wondering if the transplant option would be better value for money. Doesn't sound like it will. Don't need oodles of power but a bit more for track days would be fun. 130HP on the road is plenty.

If you can confirm those are the garages I might touch base with them to see if they can do that type of work and 'sleep on it' over winter and see what I come out with the otherside.

Thanks,

SPAXIMUS

Yes interpro is at Thornbury and Anderson are at Timsbury. Interpro will do everything Anderson just build engines.

Northampton MS are very good and if they are doing all that for £4k supplying the bits as well. I take it you have injection at present other wise you will need an injection tank as well.

Don't forget that the exhaust for a duratec is on the opposite side so will need body work as well.

I just had a look on Retro fords website. They supply an Omex Jenveys and Manifold for £1999 inc vat so again add cams and the MNS price looks good especially if that includes the rolling road set up.

Lucky Ed

If it was me I'd stick with what you've got or even buy a new Blacktop Zetec for £800. You can retain the clutch/gearbox and the manifolds are on the right side. I'd love TB's too but the cost is too great for what you will gain (smoother running,starting, better fuel economy but only about 5% power increase) if you already have DCOE's or Dellorto's that can easily be rejetted.

Your existing engine with some porting work and some cams should get you close to 190hp for a lot less then £4k. Have a look at my "Pondering zetec upgrade" thread in the Tech Talk section to see what I did last winter, it might give you some ideas.

CrisisWolf

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 10, August, 2014, 09:04:37 PM
If it was me I'd stick with what you've got or even buy a new Blacktop Zetec for £800. You can retain the clutch/gearbox and the manifolds are on the right side. I'd love TB's too but the cost is too great for what you will gain (smoother running,starting, better fuel economy but only about 5% power increase) if you already have DCOE's or Dellorto's that can easily be rejetted.

Your existing engine with some porting work and some cams should get you close to 190hp for a lot less then £4k. Have a look at my "Pondering zetec upgrade" thread in the Tech Talk section to see what I did last winter, it might give you some ideas.

Is the 2 ltr really that straight forward? Seen a crate is about £800. Different mounts tho isnt it and probably need some other parts behond what you get in the box.

I'll check your thread out. Cams seem good (but need remap) and the omex ecu is la fair chunk. If i stick to my engine next step is manifold and exhaust as my cat isnt intrgrated into the exhaust so its a pipework mess - still have a standard airbox too. Got 126hp at the moment. Cosmetics are pretty much sorted.

Moleman

I can only repeat what Spaximus & Lucky Ed has said & to do that engine change you will need to budget for a lot of extra bits that you didn't know you would need.
I only changed my Duratec to a more powerful Duratec & I had to pay out for a few things that I didn't think I would need to change.
These were a few things which some of them wasn't cheap, Jenvy parts, new ECU, exhaust, radiator, fuel pump, wiring loom, oil cooler system.
I'm glad I did it but if you do get someone to help you rather than pay a garage those extra cost will be more affordable.  :)

Lucky Ed

The 2.0 blacktop will drop straight in, but fit your 1.8 flywheel and clutch as it is nearly 2kg lighter, and you can use your existing starter. You will need an idler pulley to make the water pump spin the right way and modify the bottom hose as the water pump outlet is at a different angle. That's the easy bit!...........

I was lucky to already have DCOE's and Weber Alpha basic ECU, as well as a 4-2-1 exhaust and no Cat was needed due to the age of the original donor car. You would need to source the above to make great improvements, but they are available S/H as many people will upgrade to TB's

Feel free to come and have a look if you want, just drop me a PM 8)

CrisisWolf

Thanks all. Will need to meet, chat and investigate with you all in the near future.