AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Changed a cambelt and water pump for the first time. Chuffed.

Started by 'The Gaffer', 03, September, 2014, 02:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'The Gaffer'

Those of you who were at the Bradley Stoke Carnival and listened to the odd noise my car was making might be interested to know it was the water pump that was making the noise.

It seems quite hard to find mechanics to do things quickly these days so I thought I'd have a go at changing the pump myself. Ordered up a new cambelt with pulleys and tensioner and a water pump from Euro Car Parts and waded in, only to find they had given me the wrong belt, idiots. Finally sorted it with them and carried on with the job the next day. It's actually quite a fiddly process making sure all the marks are aligned and that the belt tension was correct but I followed instructions by the book and was soon ready to turn the key. I don't mind telling you that was a nerve racking moment as the starter span up but I was greeted by a lovely smooth and quiet tick-over. The engine sounded sweet and I was actually quite pleased with myself.

Pump had not leaked at all but the blades had started to cut into the pump body. Flushing the cooling system and replacing with new coolant should have removed any traces of metal.

All in and running ;D

I wouldn't want to do this job too often but did sort of enjoy the tinkering.

Hairy Santa

Moleman

Nice one mate. I only ever changed a wheel before I got the westy. The list is now endless to what I have done since. It does help to have a mate who lives next door who is a mechanic.  8)

Lucky Ed

Iancider

Yep!

Once you have tinkered with the cambelt you can face anything - well done Phil.

Bulldog Bri

Daley Down Under

'The Gaffer'