News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Broken Steering Wheel

Started by Iainl, 05, September, 2014, 08:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iainl

Took the car out for a spin yesterday afternoon and one of the three metal spokes snapped on the steering wheel :o

Luckily I wasn't to far from home and was able to get back, I'm guessing using the paddle shift all the time weaken it as it was flexing every time I changed gear

Therefore just been to Merlin and brought a new Momo one which seems to be a bit more sturdy then the last one

Moleman

That's the first time I heard of that happening mate.  :o

Iancider

That's a lesson to us all but there are some indications.  The grey crystalline end to the split indicates metal fatigue.  There should be generous radii and there isn't and the boss plate and spokes just look too thin.  When using Ali you need about twice the thickness of steel to gain the same strength.  Where it split was a focus point for stress due to the lack of radii and metal.  Others like this will fail in time.

Thanks for sharing it.
Ian

fullpint

I agree with you on that Colin.. The bigger the radius the better. You can have the same problems when it comes to the rim profile of wheels  ;D

damouk

I have the same wheel in the v-storm, the guy I bought the car told me he had heard of a few of these wheels fail in the same way.

Did it also fail along the score line where the leather was trimmed?

Iainl

Quote from: damouk on 06, September, 2014, 03:59:29 PM
I have the same wheel in the v-storm, the guy I bought the car told me he had heard of a few of these wheels fail in the same way.

Yes right on the score line, have you also got a paddle shift as I guess using that weakens it as you pull against the steering wheel to change gear

'The Gaffer'

damouk

Quote from: Iainl on 06, September, 2014, 04:16:54 PM
Quote from: damouk on 06, September, 2014, 03:59:29 PM

Yes right on the score line, have you also got a paddle shift as I guess using that weakens it as you pull against the steering wheel to change gear

That figures, no (un)fortunately not just standard h pattern for me, but it is very tempting for me to use the wheel as I get out, maybe time to look for an alternative :S

SPAXIMUS

There is no way a quality wheel should snap like that. In my opinion it is the choice of material that has caused it. Alloy and steel comes in many guises and choosing the right grade is crucial.

Cheap is rarely the best in all things.

Pilgrim Anna

Goodness! I would have freaked out. Glad your o.k.  :)