News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Tune-up success

Started by Iancider, 17, September, 2014, 05:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iancider

I spent this morning at Interpro in the capable hands of Dave Griffiths.

My Westy had a number of subtle by irritating problems.  Rough starting, high tickover that defied being lowered, overrun exhaust-popping, high and rich tickover that got richer as it warmed and a flat spot mid-revs and some sort of variability day to day that was hard to pin down.  I needed it right before Pembrey.

Initial diagnosis took a long time and Dave found it difficult to gain full control of it but he got there. 

Westfield had put the ECU engine temperature sensor on the cylinder head metal body rather than in contact with the coolant water.  This caused the temperature rise sensed there to be up to 15 degrees C different (lower than) to the actual coolant temperature.  As it warmed, this caused the Lambda sensor in the exhaust gasses to cut in and try to add more fuel because it was sensing cold when it wasn't.  The basic map was also too rich so this was adding more fuel to too much fuel anyway. 

Also the air intake temperature sensor was mounted on the throttle body back-plate that caused it to report the input air much hotter than it was - bizarrely 15 degrees the other way .  This looked like the error that cause Westfield to set the base-map too rich and the coolant error then added to that.  So I had seriously rich when the engine was cold to warm and a little lean when hot and lean at full revs.

Solution:  The air input sensor was taped under the throttle body to sense the air without thermal gain from the back-plate and the engine temperature sensor was remapped at +15 degrees C when cold.  Also Dave added more fuel at full revs and adjusted the ignition timing slightly at the transition point from warm to hot.

Result: Starts wells. stable idle, richness gone, flat-spot gone and a stonking 10 Bhp gain.  184 Bhp - what a result!

I can really recommend Interpro at Thornbury - Dave knows his stuff!

Lucky Ed

Great results Ian you must be chuffed. How did Westfield get it so wrong?.... maybe they should be told ;D

Dave is a great guy - I'll certainly be using him again this winter, as I think there's more to be squeezed out of mine yet.

With all of your go-faster mods we'd better look out for you at Pembrey :o ;D

Moleman

Nice one Ian. I'm pleased for you mate.  Dave did a good job on mine too.  8)

'The Gaffer'

Have heard some good reports of this guy's work. Glad you are sorted Ian :)

Iancider

And here is the video:

"I love it when the full orchestra plays!"

alastair

Thats really cool. Im glad dave worked his magic on your car like he did with mine. Hes not the cheapest but certainly seems to know his stuff.  :D

Daley Down Under

Great result - I miss the annual trip to see Dave.  The guy is a magician and very friendly to boot. 

Cheers Adrian

'The Gaffer'