News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Been rebuildimg a 4.6 Rover lump.

Started by Dixie, 27, September, 2014, 08:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dixie

For nearly a year or so I have been rebuilding my 4.6 Ltr Rover lump, with a view to put it into my Cobra.

It has a 10:1 C/R, eye brows in the +20 thou pistons to accept the 12mm lift of the Real Steel Stump puller (hi Torque) cam.  The head is using standard size valves because its a road car and limited to 5000 RPM.  The head has had lots of work, double springs, geometry altered for high lift cam, adjustable push rods.  New Cloyes timing chain and gears.

This engine started life as a GEMS injected unit, but I have converted it to a 4 x barrel carb and distributor using a "Intermediate" front cover.

Crank has been reground to +10 thou and fully balanced, new big end shells, new crank bearings and a full set of ARP bolts.

Lightened flywheel, new clutch/cover etc, all balanced with the crank.

So far its taken about 11 months and £3k inc price of engine.  November is D-Day when I plan to swap motor and take to the rolling road.  Hoping for 280 BHP and 300ft/lbs of torque.

peterw

nice :o :o
How do you get on with the adjustable push rods ? looking at those for mine....

Dixie

Quote from: peterw on 27, September, 2014, 09:44:33 PM
Easy, but pricey.  Mine were £120 from Realsteel.  Because I had 1.5mm milled off the pedestal bases on the heads, my rods needed 2mm taking off them using a lathe.  To set the pre-load I simply adjusted them to give no end float, and then turned the nut another 5/6 of a turn.

Simples.

Mark

Hairy Santa

'The Gaffer'

Very nice Mark. Look forward to seeing and hearing it :)

Why swap from injection to a carb?

Dixie

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 28, September, 2014, 12:47:16 PM

Hi Phil.

Nothing more than to keep the old school look, and help with the sound of the engine.  Carb induction sounds great.

M

Moleman

Lucky Ed

Quote from: Dixie on 28, September, 2014, 05:14:18 PM
Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 28, September, 2014, 12:47:16 PM

Hi Phil.

Nothing more than to keep the old school look, and help with the sound of the engine.  Carb induction sounds great.

M

Great job there Dixie, looks like a great project I hope you get the results you're hoping for.

Nothing wrong with old school in my book, OK my car drinks fuel but it has soul, and the noise it makes is to die for 8)

'Mendip Wurzel'

Quote from: Dixie on 28, September, 2014, 11:05:19 AM
Easy, but pricey.  Mine were £120 from Realsteel.  Because I had 1.5mm milled off the pedestal bases on the heads, my rods needed 2mm taking off them using a lathe.  To set the pre-load I simply adjusted them to give no end float, and then turned the nut another 5/6 of a turn.

Mark

Mark ..... I have also been thinking about adjustable push rods and changing the cam followers as I have a noisy tapped on tick-over when the engine is warm. Presumably the push rods will fit a standard engine without milling?
Like you I seem to end up purchasing most of my stuff from Real Steel as they seem to be the cheapest when compared with good quality.
Thanks

Dixie

Quote from: 'Mendip Wurzel' on 29, September, 2014, 08:51:15 AM

Mark ..... I have also been thinking about adjustable push rods and changing the cam followers as I have a noisy tapped on tick-over when the engine is warm. Presumably the push rods will fit a standard engine without milling?
Like you I seem to end up purchasing most of my stuff from Real Steel as they seem to be the cheapest when compared with good quality.
Thanks

Mark
Sadly Kev they are not a direct replacement.  The rods are much thicker than standard items, and need the guide holes in the head grinding out.  I think I took out at least 2mm (1mm each side) of material.  If you dont do this, they will wear rapidly.

'Mendip Wurzel'

Quote from: Dixie on 29, September, 2014, 04:04:23 PM
Quote from: 'Mendip Wurzel' on 29, September, 2014, 08:51:15 AM

Thanks

Mark
Sadly Kev they are not a direct replacement.  The rods are much thicker than standard items, and need the guide holes in the head grinding out.  I think I took out at least 2mm (1mm each side) of material.  If you dont do this, they will wear rapidly.

Mark.... O Well, I guess its back to packing the rockers for me.... thanks for the info though
Kevin

Iancider

I've commented before Dixie that yours was the best sounding Cobra at Combe  but this new engine is going to be awesome!  8) 8) 8) :P :P :o ;)

Dixie

Quote from: Iancider on 29, September, 2014, 06:53:51 PM
I've commented before Dixie that yours was the best sounding Cobra at Combe  but this new engine is going to be awesome!  8) 8) 8) :P :P :o ;)

Thanks for that.