Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Erm... engine build?

Started by David H, 30, September, 2009, 09:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David H

This is my engine.

Its just about to be rebuilt as 2 of the pistons cracked and one ring broke. I am amazed at how well it was running considering the state of it internally. There was a piece of piston vertually hanging on by the ring when it was taken apart. This is why it was breathing heavily. The chaps who built it are kindly doing it again which i am extremely grateful for. They have been excellent and I feel like a kid waiting for his christmas present!!

Forged pistons are going in this time... hopefully back on the road in 4 weeks.

The cause.... probably detonation caused by fuel surge.

can anyone lend me a car for the 12th? lol!!

Bulldog Bri

I see the problem Dave... Someone left a hammer inside it  ;D

8)

'The Gaffer'

Wow thats amazing. :o

I'm at a loss to why the engine didnt let go completely. You were sitting on a time bomb in France mate, very lucky.

Pleased the work is being done, and the new forged pistons will be the iceing on the cake :)

Roll on 4 weeks!!

David H

Quote from: bulldog bri on 30, September, 2009, 10:08:41 AM
I see the problem Dave... Someone left a hammer inside it  ;D

8)

Is that not supposed to be there?

PhilW

Why are'nt you rebuilding it yourself?

Hairy Santa

Not only is it a hammer , but a planishing hammer  --  just what have they been doing to the insidea of your engine ---!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

PhilW

Quote from: Hairy Santa on 30, September, 2009, 04:41:51 PM
Not only is it a hammer , but a planishing hammer  --  just what have they been doing to the insidea of your engine ---!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Thats modern honing techniques for you :)

fcmmotorsport

Quote from: David H on 30, September, 2009, 09:43:29 AM
This is my engine.

Its just about to be rebuilt as 2 of the pistons cracked and one ring broke. I am amazed at how well it was running considering the state of it internally. There was a piece of piston vertually hanging on by the ring when it was taken apart. This is why it was breathing heavily. The chaps who built it are kindly doing it again which i am extremely grateful for. They have been excellent and I feel like a kid waiting for his christmas present!!

hey dave i thought you said it hade forged internalls already. that could have been a lot worse you are lucky you caught it in time mate.
john

David H

Quote from: PhilW on 30, September, 2009, 11:05:14 AM
Why are'nt you rebuilding it yourself?

i work a 70-80 hour week. its being rebuilt for free so why would i do it?

David H

Quote from: fcmmotorsport on 19, October, 2009, 09:12:46 PM
Quote from: David H on 30, September, 2009, 09:43:29 AM
This is my engine.

hey dave i thought you said it hade forged internalls already. that could have been a lot worse you are lucky you caught it in time mate.
john

no forged internals before but will have after. The pistons were pocketed but not forged. There really should have been no need but its better to be safe than sorry this time. Your quite right John, I was very lucky indeed. i might just have a bag of metal shavings otherwise!

David H

Quote from: PhilW on 30, September, 2009, 04:45:57 PM
Quote from: Hairy Santa on 30, September, 2009, 04:41:51 PM

Thats modern honing techniques for you :)

Isn't a hammer used to torque up the bolts? Thats what i'm doing wrong...