News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Balancing wire wheels

Started by mikeyb, 15, April, 2015, 10:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeyb

Morning all,  I recently had new tyres fitted and wheels balanced (Centre lock, knock-off type) but am unhappy with the result.  Still feel out of balance, so want to get them checked / re-balanced.  Despite being assured by the firm I used that they could balance w/wheels, I'm not convinced.  I have found out that to do the job properly, the balancing machine should be fitted with 2 adapter cones, one male and one female.  This mounts the wheel in the same way as on the car's hub, otherwise it would be held on unmachined surfaces which cannot be guaranteed to be concentric with the rim.  My question is, does anyone know of a company in the Bristol / S.Glos. area that can do this propely, using the correct equipment as I've described above.  So far Ive not found one.  Many say they can, but when I delve deeper it turns out that they only use a normal machine.  Thanks a lot, Mike.

benchmark51

There used to be 'on car' wheel balancers years ago, but haven't seen them for a long time.

CEMB and REPCO are firms that may be able to tell you if they supply a garage near you that has such a balancer. Might be worth an 'ask'.

I have had success with a bubble balancer in the past, might be worth a go?

mikeyb

Thanks for prompt reply benchmark51.  You must be as old as me because I also remember those on-car balancers.  Good idea re. contacting the balancer manufacturers.  The bubble balancers had crossed my mind, but I was not sure about their accuracy.  However, since your reply, I've watched some U tube videos during my lunch break, and each one had a positive outcome, so currently looking to see what's for sale.  Cheers, Mike.

benchmark51

Old? me? Not a bit of it. I'm 34 and have been for nearly 30 years now! ;D ;D

To be honest I have had success from a bubble balancer whereas the computer jobbies have been hopeless. Loads on ebay around £50, need to buy wheel weights too.
cheers Dave

Iancider

mikeyb,

Taking a wild shot at this.  I know a company in Slough that completely rebuilds wire wheels - give them a ring they might be able to help - what they don't know aint worth knowing!

01753 549 360

Units 1 - 4 Elder Way, Waterside Drive, Langley, Langley. Langley St Mary's. Slough. Berkshire. SL3 6EP

Iancider

Sorry Mike - missed their name - Motor Wheel Service International Ltd

mikeyb

Iancider, how spooky is that.  This morning I had the car on a Rolling Road at JPR Tuning near Yate and I was able to witness the rear wheels were running way out of true, the car was really bouncing.  So it turns out that it wasn't the balance after all.  Came home,  did some research, placed an order for some replacement wheels with Motor Wheel Services!!!.  Still grateful for the advice though everybody.  Incidentally I can thoroughly recommend JPR, my car runs so much better now.  John, the owner, was very thorough and obviously knows his stuff.  Cheers all. Mike.  P.S.  I paid my tenner months ago, anyone know why I don't have one next to my name?

Iancider

benchmark51

You would have thought the bloke doing the wheel balance would have noticed that. ::)
Must have been like riding on thrup'ny bits ;D