News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Type 9 gearbox gear selection issues

Started by fletch_306, 11, June, 2015, 01:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fletch_306

Hi all

I am having issues selecting first and second on my type 9 gearbox all the others are fine is this generally syncros starting to fail? What do I need to look for or what can be done if this is a syncro issue the car will have to stay off the road as I have all but run out of any sort of disposable income for the car.

Cheers

Fletch

Bulldog Bri

My Locost can also get very sticky on 1st and 2nd. I've also noticed that the bell housing gets very hot after being driven only a few miles!

8)

fletch_306

Well that makes me feel a little better, What oil are you using in your gearbox?

Fletch

Lucky Ed

Sounds like the syncros are starting to to wear,as they all do, and are normally worse when they are cold. The correct oil can help quite a bit, you need 75W-90 GL4 semi Synth. I had a lecture from BGH when I picked up my new box not to use GL5, as it will ruin the soft metals, especially in the syncro rings. I dont think you'll do any more damage, so keep on driving ;D 8)

fletch_306

Cheers lucky ed the 75w-90 gl4 is what I have used so that's good to hear. Just doesn't feel right having to force it into gear! Will have to save for repair at a later date.

benchmark51

Mine is a tad sticky when cold, but quickly improves after a few miles.

Iancider

I believe you can prove if the synchros are wearing by Rev matching.  Try changing gear only when the revs for engine and road speed match (it's an art) - if it goes in easier you have identified the problem.  This is easier to perform with a down-change than and up-change.  I have seen a lot of comment about dodgy 1st and 2nd on type 9's.  Mine is difficult to get into Reverse but that is a sticky layshaft problem (the one that reverses 1st gear).  I often have to put it into second in order to then select reverse.  Putting it into second moves first gear into the right position for the layshaft.

It might also be worth trying some short shifting.  Third to 1st (I think) goes between different primary shafts and you could do the same with 4-2 or 2-4. 

It is also worth checking that you don't have clutch drag - clutch not disengaging fully - due to adjustment or oil on the plate.  If it is cable then a few millimetres at the actuator arm transposes to about 25 on the pedal. If it is oil, some fierce clutch slipping will heat it and burn it off temporarily.  You still have to go in and fix the leak but burning the clutch does prove the problem source.

This site looks useful http://www.type9gearbox.co.uk/

Good luck
Ian