News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

EDT Automotive Engine Decontamination Treatment

Started by Facial Hair Optional, 15, July, 2015, 11:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Facial Hair Optional

Did anyone else get a black A4 shiny leaflet handed to them at Castle Combe on 20th June by a guy from EDT Automotive about their system for Engine Decontamination Treatment?? He gave me the full pitch and I have to say it sounded brilliant. Results from happy customers and service technicians stated all of the following... better starting, quieter and smoother, better throttle response, boosts earlier, more power, better fuel consumption etc. £79 plus VAT if you bring your own oil and filter, £169 if they supply the lot.

Anyone tried it yet????

dikkie

I had a read of their website and I'm skeptical about putting soy bean oil through my engine - there's no way of flushing all of it out afterwards and mixing oil is a no-no.

£79 would pay for a lot of oil good quality - I would be more inclined to reduce the oil change interval to help keep the engine clean.

Moleman

The guy who is doing this did come & see me about this & is willing to do alittle talk on it with a hope to do a day down here to do our club cars in one go. It would cost £79 each plus oil.  I normally do my oil changes in the winter so doing right away won't suit me.

What do people think about this? Thoughts please? 

Moleman

I will look up the web site when I get home as he did give me his details.

Please let me know what you think good & bad & if you would be interested.

Iancider

Myself

I think the claims are a load of Hooey! 

If you use a synthetic oil, petroleum products don't dilute them and the engine is much safer.  They cost twice as much but last twice as long and even old oil comes out brown and not black.  If you are worried buy synthetic and change it twice as often and still get change from £79!

You will probably guess I wasn't convinced!

sanzomat

I didn't get the leaflet and haven't heard the pitch or looked at the website but I've always had a healthy scepticism for such things and I'm not convinced either. I agree that a good quality synthetic (and they aren't all the same - know the difference between hyrdocracked mineral oils and manufactured from scratch - both can legally call themselves fully synthetic and are very different!) should be all you need and as others have said, if you have any concerns just change it frequently.

Iancider

I've also seen a water filter so good it claims you can drink your own urine but frankly I don't like Carlsberg!

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Iancider on 16, July, 2015, 11:55:05 PM
I've also seen a water filter so good it claims you can drink your own urine but frankly I don't like Carlsberg!

That one is true Ian, though I've not tried it for my own urine but you can put slurry from a farmyard floor though it and it comes out pure and drinkable, yummy!  :o

Moleman

Facial Hair Optional

I think it may have some merit, especially if you have an old engine. Using a better oil and changing it more often is ok but I don't think it would clear out several years of crap and build up would it??

You can get your fuel system cleaned and it's proven to lower emissions ( Terraclean for example http://www.terraclean.co.uk/ ) so why not an engine? All that crap and carbon that builds up was not in there when it was new was it??!!

I've just had the sump welded on my pinto engine today and you would not believe the junk stuck in the oil pick up mesh and it only had an oil and filter service 300 miles ago!

It would be a go'er I reckon if we had some positive independant feedback from a non-biased kit car owner maybe?

benchmark51

The inside of my 2.3 duratec is very clean after 250k miles, so if you want clean go lpg.