News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Diff finally out

Started by 'The Gaffer', 17, October, 2009, 08:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'The Gaffer'

Well today was the day to find out if my diff would come out without having to take the body off the car, and after a week of resting a sore back I couldent wait to get stuck in.

Success!! With the very kind help of Martin, we did indeed manage to remove the diff with car bodywork still attached. It was a bit of a jigsaw puzzle, but a very enjoyable and rewarding task.

The diff will be going to Phil Jones engineering ASAP for assessment. Hopefully just a rebuild will be required.

Out she comes...

Gently does it...

Update soon.

Bulldog Bri

Richard

Good job, well done Martin !!!

Those half shafts are getting towards an interesting angle.

Do use new bolts when you refit.

Good team work, hope the back stood up (haha).

'The Gaffer'

Took diff to Phil Jones engineering today. They kindly popped the back for a quick look while I was there. True pro's working in a spotless workshop, very impressed.

Seems from a telephone conversation later in the day that the internals are not too bad at all, no broken teeth or worn gears. Only worn bearings and a very poor previous rebuild ::).

It appears the crush washer was not crushed correctly allowing lots of play, even an oil seal was put in backwards :o

Just goes to show, not everyone is capable of rebuilding a diff, even if it says they can over the door.

I should have it back completely rebuilt and set up with new bearings etc shortly, so hopefully it will be as smooth as silk.

I understand Phil Jones actually puts a plate on the side of the diff with an ID number. You have to be proud and confident in your work to do that :)

Richard

Clever pieces of engineering Diffs, that previous rebiuld does sound a bit novice, think you have found a very professional organisation there Phil !

Don't skimp on the oil choice.

'The Gaffer'

Ok its been rebuilt.

Great turnaround time by Phil Jones. Totally proffessional throughout.

All new washers, seals, bearings, and tolerences set. I would certainly trust my work to these guys time and time again.

Call them for engine, gearbox or diff rebuilds. See our links page.

Casing is spotless.

You dont put your mark on it unless your proud of it...

Next update soon. Time to refit.

Richard

That looks spotless !

Attention to detail  8)

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Richard on 21, October, 2009, 07:01:24 AM
That looks spotless !

Attention to detail  8)

Agreed, great work.

I will be using Valvoline synthetic 75-90w GL-5 oil.

Bulldog Bri

I'd like to get all of my car up to that standard all over...  ;D

Nice job, shame it's not on view whilst on the road. :D

8)

'The Gaffer'

Back on the road :)

Diff fitted and looking forward to getting out and about again. (Thanks Martin)

Next few jobs are to cut the dash and raise steering wheel a bit, fit a marine accessory socket for sat nav etc, find and fit a bonnet scoop, source new air filter, change engine oil, raise aero screens a bit, tidy up engine bay a little, fit an indicator buzzer, and generally have a tinker.

Oh almost forgot, fit new Pro Race 3's in anthracite and new Toyo 888's all round :).

Mmmm, nice wheels. (I hope so anyway)

Update soon

Bulldog Bri

Well done Phil.

Steady on with all those mods your planning for the car. We'll have to get some furry dice and seat covers for you  ;D

I'm making the most of the last week of Oct' as the Bulldog is off the road from Sunday, so taking it to work every day this week regardless of what the weather throws at us  ;)

8)

'The Gaffer'

Oh yes, got 'em already, just couldent work out where to hang 'em ;D

Got this kit too :)

* Packed with a versatile set of of tools for the car
    * Essential road safety must haves
    * Compact carry case for storage
    * Includes 3 in 1 torch with breakout hammer and seat belt cutter, jump leads, ice scraper and many more

All completley useless of course, but great to show off at meets dont you think? ;D