News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Valve Spring Compressor

Started by sanzomat, 20, September, 2015, 10:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanzomat

I'm making a bit of progress on my VVC engine now. I'll soon have the head off. I've searched everywhere and I can't find my valve spring compressor. I've not used it for over 20 years and 4 house moves so not really surprising I can't find it but I did find the grinding paste and lapping stick!

I was looking on fleabay and there are some cheap ones but I know from last time that the type that you screw down like a G clamp are a bit rubbish and more likely to ping off. I don't usually lend/borrow tools but I might make an exception - does anyone have a halfway decent valve spring compressor that they won't miss for a couple of weeks? Happy to collect and return locally.

Facial Hair Optional

Sorry Dave, I dont have one myself but I will ask a few mates for you.

Bulldog Bri

I have a couple here, your welcome to borrow either. ;D

8)

sanzomat

Cheers Bri - will PM for contact details/arrangements

Bulldog Bri

sanzomat

Got the head off tonight but found that the valve ends are sunk so deep down in the head that neither of Bri's compressors will reach them. Probably due to it being hydraulic tappets.

So - I'll return yours soon Bri, but does anyone have a compressor with a long extension that will allow access to the collets about 40mm (possibly more after compressing the springs) down into the head? I'm guessing Dave Bence must based on his web diaries. If not I'll have to buy one. I'm pretty sure the one I had but can't find wouldn't have reached either.

Looking at it it'll be a b*tch getting the collets back on as my fingers aren't that long and thin!!

Good news is that apart from the slight lack of compression on one cylinder everything is looking good inside. Bores still have the honing marks. Very little coke. Valves all look straight. I'm wondering if the compression issue might just be from where the engine has been standing for so long, maybe the valves were left open and a bit of oxidation had formed on the seat. I'm fairly sure a bit of lapping should sort it if i ever get the collets off!!

Lucky Ed

Dave Bence does indeed have one as I have borrowed it in the past.

It might be an idea to PM him, as I don't know how often he is on here these days.

Iancider

Sansomat,

I have used tubes with a standard G-clamp i the past to deal with difficult valve sptings - you just need to find  the right bore and diameter.

With reinserting colletts - it can be a fiddle but using something sticky on the end of a steel rod or wire can be a way of placing them when fingers wont fit.

Regards
Ian

benchmark51

You can get them out easily by using a deep socket. Put the socket on cap and a sharp tap with a hammer will release the collets. Keep a good grip on the socket and be careful not to lose the collets.
You can adapt a piece of tube with a G clamp to refit the collets. Check that your valves or seats are not stellite coated or treated in some other way as lapping them in may ruin them

sanzomat

Bought one of these off fleabay. Only £8.95 delivered and worked a treat - got all 16 valves out yesterday evening.

The rover manual describes re-cuttiing and lapping the valves so should be okay Dave.

sanzomat

All the valves now lapped and re-installed with new stem seals - a small dab of grease on the tip of a small flat blade screwdriver got the collets back in. I won't lie, it was a bit fiddly but I got the knack of it after the first few and the rest went fine with only a small amount of swearing!

I tested the seal by standing the head on its side and filling up the the ports with paraffin (the combustion chambers are too shallow to do it the other way) - nothing leaked past the valves so I'm hopeful the compression will be fine now.